• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glossostigma elatinoides question

Piece-of-fish

Hello there.
I am new to the planted tank. Was planning to try to grow glosso in my smaller office tank but heard that its quite demanding.

The set up is going to be:
Tank: Fluval 90l tank, about 45cm high
Substrate: Akadama with some moss peat and osmocote (thanks to James and his awesome article)
Lighting: 3x 15w T8 witch gives about 2wpg of T8 lighting
Ferts: EI
CO2: Combination of DIY yeast based and AE liquid aqua carbon

Any advice welcome especially on lights and co2

Regards.

Piece-of-fish said:
Hello there.
I am new to the planted tank. Was planning to try to grow glosso in my smaller office tank but heard that its quite demanding.

The set up is going to be:
Tank: Fluval 90l tank, about 45cm high
Substrate: Akadama with some moss peat and osmocote (thanks to James and his awesome article)
Lighting: 3x 15w T8 witch gives about 2wpg of T8 lighting
Ferts: EI
CO2: Combination of DIY yeast based and AE liquid aqua carbon

Any advice welcome especially on lights and co2

Regards.
According to Tropica it is - see attached thread link.

http://www.tropica.com/productcard.asp?id=045A

But I dare say If you perceive with it, it will grow other people must have cracked it.

Regards
paul.

Ive grown it under moderate light ( 78W over a 3 footer ( 2 T5's ) - 45 cm deep - still 2.5W per US gallon ) tank. It was growing flat and healthy even where it was over shadowed. I did hammer the Co2 in though. That was grown in Unipac Zambezi and Tropica substrate.

You shouldn't have any problems growing it, but growing it flat is the challenge. Some times this can be down to the initial planting technique.

Cheers.

Graeme Edwards said:
Ive grown it under moderate light ( 78W over a 3 footer ( 2 T5's ) - 45 cm deep - still 2.5W per US gallon ) tank. It was growing flat and healthy even where it was over shadowed. I did hammer the Co2 in though. That was grown in Unipac Zambezi and Tropica substrate.

You shouldn't have any problems growing it, but growing it flat is the challenge. Some times this can be down to the initial planting technique.

Cheers.

G-man can explain what you mean about the initial planting technique? How should you plant it?

Yes, would be interesting to hear about that planting technique.

I am actually trying to grow glosso in 2 tanks, the second of which has 180l and 105w of t8 lighting and FE co2, both will be fertilized with EI, the smaller tank has akadama, moss peat and some osmocote as a substrate and the 180 has a combination of gravel and API laterite. I am new to the hobby so am trying different plants at the moment to see how it goes and what works.
Will post both journals soon.
Thanks for your advice

Graeme Edwards said:
If you look on this really helpful link, scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a very good diagram to illustrate what needs to be done to help the plant grow properly.

Hope this helps.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... 0%26um%3D1

Cheers.

Thats really useful graham! very handy when my new setup is just round the corner, will be popping over to see you soon, need some rock, then the week after some plants. Going to be making a few journeys from derby me thinks!

Bring your HD camcorder Andy, perhaps we could come up with a funky vid of bones of the earth ( Thats my aquatrium, not what some of you might be thinking :lol: ). The tank looks its best on fridays just afert a water change etc.

Boh!

Graeme Edwards said:
Bring your HD camcorder Andy, perhaps we could come up with a funky vid of bones of the earth ( Thats my aquatrium, not what some of you might be thinking :lol: ). The tank looks its best on fridays just afert a water change etc.

Boh!

Glad you clarified what you wanted filming, i try to not get involved in that kind of filming any more!

I may be able to get over on the 24th combined with a business trip up that neck of the woods, will you be around? I want you to give me some scaping advice

Back