• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glossostigma Elatinoides

I plan to use Glossostigma Elatinoides in the next few months, having never grown it before. The aquarium in question will have around 2WPG, Seachem Flourish Excel and Tropica Plant Nutrition+ dosing. Is this suitable?

I can't see why not assuming you're Co2 is good and the lights are T5 I can't see you having any problems glosso is a real weed.
I got a few LEAVES of if in some moss sent to me by London dragon and I now have around 12 plantlets that have grown from just leaves. I hope this helps you understand just how much of a weed it can be and why I don't think you'll struggle at all.

Er...well, you could struggle if we are talking about 2wpg of T5 and only using Excel without CO2 injection. Flow to the substrate can also be an issue so it will depend on what type of filtration you have as well. As Gareth says, if all these issues are accounted for Glosso will grow like a weed. :D

Cheers,

What size is your tank? I'd say the 105 would be unsuitable for everything but nanos.

Ignore the box they lie. You want a filter that will turn over 10x (you can go up to 20x) you're tank, so say you're looking for a filter that will turn over 720lph + I run a eheim 2224 on a 60l tank and would say it's still not enough. If I were you I'd emulate George and get a fluval405.

Oh right, I could get a 205 instead because the 405 seems too much. The 105 can do for the 35l that I have. So Glossostigma Elatinoides would be fine with this, yeah?

Post up your full tank specs and we'll go from there. Remember, higher flow rates are your friend they'll help no end in distributing nutrients and ensuring algae because of dead spots doesn't become an issue.
And, even if the box says "700lph" you can be expecting it to actually be producing 300lph.

ceg4048 said:
Are you injecting CO2? This is still unclear and has huge ramifications.

Cheers,

Indeed, when my bottle emptied the tank was without CO2 for 3 weeks and on my return the Glossos was nearly dead. A month on and it is amost back to full glory.

I tried this but with easycarbo, it didn't work, took 2 weeks to go to nothing:) never mind at least I know

JOHNNY

Co2 is a big outlay at first but my god is it worth it in the long run. Take the plunge I can assure you you won't regret it. It works out infinitely cheaper than excel too.

I don't feel confident enough to use CO2 to be honest.

It would be great if someone could tell me all of the equipment that I need. I'm sure it's better to get his done while I have some spare change!

It depends on what your goals are. Pick one and stick to it, for a typical hi-tech like mine I used:
1x 60x30x30 tank
1x 48watt (2x 24watt) t5 luminaire
full co2, this comprises of a drop checker a rhinnox 2000 diffuser, fire extinguisher, a regulator and bubble counter, non return valve and of course tubing.
Substrate (gravel) which is ADA (the best for your money) and sand (as a foreground)
filter I use a eheim 2224 but I'd like a bigger one.
Heater is a hydor inline, better to keep them out of the tank, gives you more space.
Ferts of the dry kind are the best.

optional extras would be lily pipes an inline diffuser and a bucket.

I never read that when I did mine I just winged it and hoped for the best. CO2 is nothing to be scared of just take your time to get things right and make sure you don't have any live stock in the tank when you first set it up.

Back