• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glue for rocks. Which one are you using?

si walker

Hi.
I won't be needing much and don't want to spend the earth.
Has anyone found a safe glue/silicone that can be purchased at the likes of ScrewFix etc or is it an online order or LFS?
What are you all using?

Thank you!

Simon

Cotton wool and low viscosity super glue.. you can buy a big 50g bottle from Screwfix for about £3.. I got through about 3 bottles glueing this rock together.

If your keeping fish avoid the Loctite brand and don't use activator as it contains lots of nasties. ( even though the instant grab would be amazing)
Fingers Of Mordor.jpg

Gorilla Glue original also works well. Just let it cure per the directions. It’s inert once it’s cured. I used it to attach my spiderwood to rock and the only way it’s coming off is if I hit it with a jackhammer, no effect on livestock

Is this the original one that you mean?

This is inert and fish safe when dry?
20200605_110047.jpg

Umm, I am planning a dragon stone scape and was looking for something other than the superglue / cotton method, as I have had some not great results form that.

Gorilla Glue is not the same thing as Gorilla Superglue, and may contain harmful additives to fish and plants.

Any one where the active ingredient is Cyanoacrylate. Think most use Gorilla Glue Gel but am sure there are cheaper ones. I use Gorilla Glue Gel just because I've seen it used so much on youtube etc its tried and tested.

Not sure about other gorilla glues but whats the point in having to make sure its fully cured etc when the Gel can be put pretty much straight in the water (I've done this) as it dries it instantly when submerged.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 400
Any one where the active ingredient is Cyanoacrylate. Think most use Gorilla Glue Gel but am sure there are cheaper ones. I use Gorilla Glue Gel just because I've seen it used so much on youtube etc its tried and tested.

Not sure about other gorilla glues but whats the point in having to make sure its fully cured etc when the Gel can be put pretty much straight in the water (I've done this) as it dries it instantly when submerged.
The problem with the gel super glues is they are not meant to be weight holding, like glueing larger rocks together as one poster is looking to do. The advantage of the original gorilla glue is that it expands and finds cracks and crevices to adhere to, making a stronger bond.

The problem with the gel super glues is they are not meant to be weight holding, like glueing larger rocks together as one poster is looking to do. The advantage of the original gorilla glue is that it expands and finds cracks and crevices to adhere to, making a stronger bond.

Ah I see, I have only really used it for plants and mosses. Not attempted a load bearing structure yet!

I just use a Hot glue Gun from BnM. Works great. And when you want to change the scape around, you can snap it off.
You can attach plants with hot glue aswell.

Back