• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glutaraldehyde!

I was just planning my strategy. I think removing plants is the best bet then, otherwise I'll kill the algae only to have it come back due to fluctuations when I stop dosing!
Ah well that may be a different kettle of fish...if its a low tech system with no current carbon enrichment and you have bba then it could be due to fluctuations in co2 from water changes.....you may need to reduce your water change frequency.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Would be interested to hear the results of this. Mainly the shelf life of the full 50% bottle. I only mix mine in 500ml so if the mixed stuff goes off quite quick I'll just mix smaller bottles. In the case of the 50% original bottle I wonder how long that is good for. Due to my tanks size the one I have will last for years so it would probably be in my interests to flog some on.

I have mine for 2 years already with no difference in effectiveness.

Just for your info:
- Half-life decay for glutaraldehyde is 10.6 hours (after this period half of glutaraldehyde is metabolized = used up); completely metabolized it is after 48 hours (regardless of % or amount added to aquarium). This is a reason it needs to be dosed daily.
- Easy-Life EasyCarbo should be 1.5% solution of glutaradehyde; Seachem Flourish Excel is probably a little different derivative of glutaraldehyd called polycykloglutaracetal. The Seachem company states that it's better then regular glutaraldehyde (better digestable by plants as a source of carbon). Here in the Czech Republic one company make 1.5% solution of glutaraldehyde known as PMFE (£3 for 500ml).
- Dosing: 100ml 1.5% solution of glutaradehyde contains 1.6 g glutaraldehyde
- Recommended dosing of Seachem Flourish Excel (2mL for 40L of aquarium water) = 0.8 mg/L glutaraldehyde
- Recommended dosing of Easy-Life EasyCarbo (2mL for 50L of aquarium water) = 0.6 mg/L glutaraldehyde
- Recommended dosing of PlantaGrow PMFE (2.5mL for 100L of aquarium water) = 0.4 mg/L glutaraldehyde
- Toxicity of glutaraldehyde: 1 mg/L = no observable effect on algae; 1.5 mg/L = first negative impact on algae observed (growth inhibition at 50% of [some types of] algae population) + negative impact on incubation of fish embryo; 2.5 mg/L = negative impact on zooplankton; 10-20 mg/L fish health in danger.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. I find the DIY mix more comparable to EasyCarbo then Excel. I say that as I have to dose more of the DIY mix when spot dosing than I do regular Excel. I also found this with EasyCarbo. One other thing, if I get Excel on my hand it can burn a bit whereas this doesn't happen with DIY / EasyCarbo.

Seems to me that DIY mix needs to made up to 3% soln. to be comparable to Excel. Just looking at the mg/L for the different dosing instructions.

Quick question on using Glut.
Can this be monitored using a drop checker?
I ask because I made up a solution and dosed this morning but am not seeing any colour change on my DC!

I don't know if this has been posted before but here's a 5% promotional discount code for Bonnymans.
bonny5
Just got me a 42p discount. In the words of Tesco, every little helps.

As you may guess from my previous post I've just ordered some Glut'. I'm now to this liquid carb jazz, so naturally a few questions will follow.
I'm currently injecting co2 and things are going nicely except a little BBA. This is why I'm intending to add Glut'. Seeing as I'm already adding co2 how much Glut' per litre or gallon do I add?

Normal excel dose is 1ml per 40L daily. Have you have mixed your glut with water first? Sorry if that's a dumb question it's just that your post reads like you want to add neat glut to your tank.

Cheers. Sorry for the confusion. I do intend to dilute, when I get the delivery. I've read the previous posts, and I seems that a lot of folk are primarily using this on its own. I was concerned about there being too much carbon in the water as I'm also injecting co2.

Cheers. Sorry for the confusion. I do intend to dilute, when I get the delivery. I've read the previous posts, and I seems that a lot of folk are primarily using this on its own. I was concerned about there being too much carbon in the water as I'm also injecting co2.

You'll be fine. Liquid carbon and gas function differently.

Just be warned that glutaraldehyde is a strong disinfectant, so although it could be dosed simultaneously with gas (aqueous) CO2, yet be careful with dosing. I would not exceed the concentration of 1.0 mg/L. For 1.5% solution of GA it means to dose daily no more than 6 ml for 100L. Still I'm not sure if it's a good idea to combine gas CO2 with liquid carbon, because each form require different mechanism of uptake with plants, so I'm not sure if plants can use both forms simultaneously. I think (maybe) they will prefere one form over another, and the less preferable option will be using only after depleting the first option. The same is true of ammonia vs. NO3 (if plants have ammonia available they wont touch NO3 until there's no NH3).

No this is not true at all. Dose as much as you dare and combine with CO2 as you wish.
Neither is it a valid summary of NO3/NH3 assimilation. It's absolutely untrue. Plants consume both forms of Nitrogen constantly.

These are all myths.

Cheers,

I'm having the same issue as davem had where this is having no effect on BBA. I'm dosing at 3ml and have tried to spot dose with no effect. Got my order from bonnymans. Looks like I'll need to mix another batch bit don't understand why !

Back