• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Go get some leaves!

BigTom

Went for my annual leaf collecting walk this afternoon and got a nice mix of beech, oak, sweet chestnut and sycamore which should see me through 'til next autumn. Beats paying to have Indian almond leaves flown halfway around the world! Great for shrimp and breeding fish, and can add a nice accent or two even in more formal tanks.

hp0t.jpg

Good article here for anyone that needs convincing - All the leaves are brown… — Seriously Fish

I've not used sycamor myself before, I think they'll probably break down a bit quickly and I read on The Krib that maple leaves tend to retain more nutrients that beech or oak, but I can't see either being an issue unless you're using it in large quantities.

Im far from knowledgeable about these things but im sure I read the opposite, I think sycamore breaks down more slowly ?

I need to collect more for my tank - it's bigger than I remember it was... lol.

Probably the only time in my life I'm ever gonna use that statement :lol:

I'm away on business at the moment but this is definitely on my todo list for when I'm back.Thanks for the reminder!

It keeps pouring rain here. It's annoying because I can't be bothered trying to dry out 3 million leaves in my house. :bored:

Yeah I collected mine after waiting ages for two consecutive dry days and they've not taken much drying out. Tricky in Scotland though! No rush though, there'll be beech leaves available at least in good condition a long way into winter.

Right, one of each is going in the tank now, I'll report back in a week :p

OK, so for reference after two and a half weeks the sycamore is probably 80% skeletalised, the sweet chestnut about 50%, the oak about 5% and the beech still looks exactly the same as when I added it.

Could somebody identify this?

20131121_132136_zps5dce9e1e.jpg

Loads of them just fallen in the grounds of my nippers nursery (looks beautiful). I thought that if they were safe and good to use in tank they'd look nice :)

Quite big by the way, around 6/7 inches in length.

Good shout! Cherry sounds right, remember seeing the trees in blossom earlier this year now you say it.

Safe? :)

Back