• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Godswood - my personal paradise.

Mark.A

After planning a large 4x2x2 planted tank with sump system I have now had a change of mind. I’m going to have multiple smaller planted tanks instead! :D

This has also meant that I can setup the first one straight away. I have already started ordering everything with a couple of things arriving already today. The rest due to arrive throughout this week, though there is still more to order over the next few weeks/months before the tank will be completed.

Onto the system details, the tank I have ordered is a Fluval Flex 123L with cabinet, which is due for delivery on Wednesday. I will be going low tech and low/medium light, using the single LED bar that comes with the system.

D45B788F-CA89-4338-A320-01F99795B7E8.jpeg

I’m going to be using inert black aquarium sand for the substrate, also due for delivery this week. I will be seeding the substrate with plant fertiliser and will top it up with root tabs when needed. I will also be dosing TNC Complete. The fertiliser is also due for delivery this week as is the doser that I will be using.

The hardscape is going to be mainly Azalea roots along with some Seiryu rock. These are also being delivered this week. Below are the two pieces of Azalea root that I have ordered.

C564F480-7D8E-4203-8369-D2F9B1B5A762.jpeg

C3120E07-6839-446C-A84B-01239376B0B9.jpeg

The plants will be quite heavy from the start, I am going to order:

Anubias coffeefolia
Anubias nana petite
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Pinto'
Nymphaea rubra
Cryptocoryne legroi
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko'
Ludwigia sp. Mini super red
Ludwigia arcuata
Java fern petite
Hygrophila polysperma rosanervig
Crinum Calamistratum
Spiky moss
Helanthium tenellum
Fissidens fontanus
Bucephalandra biblis
Bucephalandra caterina
Bucephalandra sekadau

The fish stock is planned as follows:

2 Apistogramma cacatuoides
40 Ember tetra
3 Hillstream loaches

Along with:

5 Nerite Snail
10 Amano Shrimp
20 Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Once the tank is setup and aquascaped I willl be ordering the plants. When they arrive I'll get it planted and then order the snails/shrimp. After a week I'll order the first of the fish (20 of the Ember tetras). After another 2 weeks I'll order the remaining fish apart from the 2GBRs, then 2 weeks later I’ll order the 2 GBRs.

I can’t wait to get started on the tank. I’ve been without one for too long! I will post updates as it progresses. :thumbup:

Any questions feel free to ask, all comments are welcome!

Last edited:
Hey @Mark.A 80 fish in 123 tank seems to be a lot, in my opinion it's way too much.

Is it a real breed or an inked one?

red2.png

48 of those fish are Cardinal tetras, smaller fish don’t impact the bioload as much as larger fish. I’m fairly confident the tank will be fine with this stocking level.

Manacapuru Angelfish are indeed a proper breed, see below.

C1F1F1CE-C5F5-4E16-B43F-9360C2F7C009.jpeg

Hey @Mark.A 80 fish in 123 tank seems to be a lot, in my opinion it's way too much.

Is it a real breed or an inked one?

red2.png
They’re a lovely wild angelfish which develop red shoulders as they get older.

Hi @Mark.A, great mix of species you’ve chose however the numbers you’re suggesting would be more suited to a five foot tank rather than the flex. It will be seriously overstocked unfortunately. The pair of angels will get too large for that sized tank, that’s before you take into account the large numbers of the other fish. Maybe a pair of rams, 20 of the tetras and the corydoras would be more suitable?

cheers

Conor

Ahhh... I saw the one I've pasted above and was pretty shocked by its color, your is definitely a proper one. But in terms of fauna I will agree with @Conort2 - it seems to be really heavy stock you're planning there.

They’re a lovely wild angelfish which develop red shoulders as they get older.

Hi @Mark.A, great mix of species you’ve chose however the numbers you’re suggesting would be more suited to a five foot tank rather than the flex. It will be seriously overstocked unfortunately. The pair of angels will get too large for that sized tank, that’s before you take into account the large numbers of the other fish. Maybe a pair of rams, 20 of the tetras and the corydoras would be more suitable?

cheers

Conor

Ahhh... I saw the one I've pasted above and was pretty shocked by its color, your is definitely a proper one. But in terms of fauna I will agree with @Conort2 - it seems to be really heavy stock you're planning there.

I appreciate the feedback but I disagree. I have had over 400 fish in a 5 foot tank without issue, never mind 80. Whether they are okay or not depends on which fish and the maintenance employed.

I have to completely agree with @Conort2 and @Witcher. I brought a Fluval Flex 37liter about two months ago and it is home to one male betta, think it's a good size for him but I will not be adding any more fish as wouldnt want to compromise on space for him. 80 fish in a 123Liter is well over stocked. Them angel fish will get big. I'm no expert and you might be right about smaller fish not effecting the bio load as much as larger fish but you have to think about there welfare too, tank will would be crammed and that would be in the tank with no harscape, plants etc. Imagine with all the hardscape and plants your planning on putting in, they wont have much room to move about.

Last edited:
80 fish in essentially 25 gallons of water?
No matter what filter you have; no way this works.

It will be interesting to see the tank and hardscape in place first and only after you calculate what swimming space you have left decide for yourself if you want your display tank look like a LFS holding tank.
A fishless cycle isn’t required in a tank with a large plant biomass .
Just have to be cautious and not introduce all fish at the same time.
Also, you might find Monte Carlo and Hygro pinnatifida to struggle or die in low light and no co2 environment (You have about 2..3ppm Co2 in a low tech ).

I’d echo what others have said. Seriously listen to the advice.

your tank will be big enough for a single shoal of small Tetra, maybe 20.

you could have a pair of rams also but personally I think it’s too small for that also.

I’d also suggest reviewing your plant list, some of them just will not do anything without co2.

Sorry for sounding negative but it sounds like you are trying to squeeze everything that would have put into a 4’ tank with massive filtration into a 100L Fluval Flex!

80 fish in essentially 25 gallons of water?
The tank is 32.5 gallon. It’s 32.5” x 15.75” x 15.35”.

A fishless cycle isn’t required in a tank with a large plant biomass .
True, if the tank is lightly stocked with fish as most tanks are nowadays. With a heavier fish load the biological filtration is still important.

Also, you might find Monte Carlo and Hygro pinnatifida to struggle or die in low light and no co2 environment (You have about 2..3ppm Co2 in a low tech ).
I have seen multiple low tech/low light tanks that are growing these fine. I do a lot of research before selecting plants/fish and it seems they should be okay.

your tank will be big enough for a single shoal of small Tetra, maybe 20.

Sorry for sounding negative but it sounds like you are trying to squeeze everything that would have put into a 4’ tank with massive filtration into a 100L Fluval Flex!
My experience says different. I think people tend to stock their tanks with far less fish now than they used to many years ago but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t possible to keep more fish and keep them happy and healthy. You can. I’ve done it, many times.

I’d also suggest reviewing your plant list, some of them just will not do anything without co2.
Believe me, my plant list has been extensively reviewed! ;) :lol: Which plants are you referring to?

I have decided to reduce the fish load, I was always dubious about the Angelfish in this tank, I agree they would be better in a bigger tank so they are going and I am going to cut back on the rest as well, though nowhere near as much as you have been suggesting. I still think this tank with my maintenance is capable of supporting more than 20 tetras. I’d keep that amount in a 20 litre tank! :confused:

I’ll update my fish list in the first post. :thumbup: Thanks everyone for all the comments.

So annoyed right now. The place that was due to deliver the tank tomorrow has just rang to say the tank was cracked when they went to get it to ship. It was the last one they had so they offered to order one in for next week for me, which I accepted. They rang back shortly after to say they can’t order one in either as they are no longer available. :grumpy:

After frantically searching online I’ve found another place that has one in stock, though it is the last one and is being used on display and is £75 dearer than the one I ordered initially. :meh: Because of the price difference it’s also going to have to wait a few days whilst I get the refund from the first tank and get some more money come in before I can actually order it, though they have reserved it for me. What a pain! :rolleyes:

The tank is 32.5 gallon. It’s 32.5” x 15.75” x 15.35”.

I know that but you have to account for all the hardscape and soil so you really don’t have 32 gallons.
I’m glad you have taken the advice of many to lower the fish stock...
It’s a shame the tank was cracked and had to pay more for the other ; hopefully this one will get to you in one piece!

Mark, on a different note from the bioload perspective; from an aquascaping perspective, less is more, if you're seeking to create a truly stunning visual aquarium.

There are no hard and fast rules, but in my opinion it's easy to see where an aquarium goes from a "fish tank" to "aquascape" and vice versa.

As a rule of thumb, for any aquascape's I'd advise a maximum of 3 different species, or ideally 1.

More than that and tanks often end up looking like circuses, with competing fish from entirely different locales having to exist together, which makes for jarring viewing.

If you were open to suggestions, I'd suggest you pick a shoaling fish for your fluval flex, then opt for a number of fish that acts to complement your aquascape, rather than steal attention away from it.

You mentioned harlequin rasbora above, you could perhaps focus on this as a main attraction, with a small group of cories in your aquarium?

Best of luck whichever the route you take :thumbup:

@Aqua360 I agree with you in general, but I'd add that more diversity in fish (but still lightly stocked) can fit a more wild jungle style scape really well imo.

I still think this tank with my maintenance is capable of supporting more than 20 tetras. I’d keep that amount in a 20 litre tank! :confused:

Big difference between surviving and thriving though.

It's really a comment in relation to 20 litres being enough space for 20 tetras, I've seen these in display tanks at zoos (warsaw/berlin) and they will dart the entire length of 3 meter displays in a flash - they're some of the most active fish we could keep, 20L just feels horrifically cruel to me. Perhaps our definition of thriving is a little out of sync.

Back