• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going biotopish

You’ve got to put some pictures up of these.

As promised:
DSC_0899_copy_2046x1363.jpg

Got a nice group of five today. One has an elongated dorsal fin, perhaps a male? It'd be incredible to be able to breed them.

Very nice! Strange fish, Like a cross between a rope fish and a ctenopoma.
They're the only members of their family, however closely related to Kneriidae and Pantodon buchholzi, supposedly. They have an organ similar to that of labyrinth fish and are able to breed air, which comes in handy because they're from poorly oxygenated, muddy (hence the common name mudfish) pools.

This video shows their (strange) way of feeding:

They're the only members of their family, however closely related to Kneriidae and Pantodon buchholzi, supposedly. They have an organ similar to that of labyrinth fish and are able to breed air, which comes in handy because they're from poorly oxygenated, muddy (hence the common name mudfish) pools.

They’re unique aren’t they, wasn’t expecting that to be the way they fed.

They’re unique aren’t they, wasn’t expecting that to be the way they fed.
They are unlike any other fish - one of a kind. The kind of fish that stays interesting and fascinating to watch, no matter how long you've kept them.

Been more than a year since I've posted here. We moved house last summer, so it's been a busy time. A big bonus of the new house is that I have my own man cave/fish room now. Not all fish survived the move, but things have settled in now, so I'm slowly getting where I want the tanks to be.

Dark tanks and light from outside make it difficult to take pictures, but I was able to get a few pictures from some of the fish. Hope you guys enjoy.

Distichodus sp. Lefini
Distichodus sp. Lefini klein.jpg

Microctenopoma ansorgii
Microctenopoma ansorgii klein.jpg

Microctenopoma ansorgii klein2.jpg

Nannacharax sp.
Nannacharax sp. klein.jpg

Neolebias ansorgii
Neolebias ansorgii klein.jpg

Neolebias ansorgii klein2.jpg

Neolebias unifasciatus
Neolebias unifasciatus klein.jpg

Practolaemus ansorgii
Practolaemus ansorgii klein.jpg

Nannostomus marginatus
Nannostomus marginatus klein.jpg

Nannostomus marginatus klein2.jpg

OMG I love them, they are so derpy

Come on man, give us a FTS!! 🙏🏻

I’ve always wondered with dimly lit biotope tank, what’s it like viewing them during the day, with ambient light?
Hah. I'll try when I have time. It's hard to take pictures because the lights of the surrounding tanks cause reflections.

All tanks are dimly lit with a lot of floating plants, so it's sometimes hard to see everything, but at least the fish feel safe.

OMG I love them, they are so derpy
They are amazingly fun fish to keep. A bit like kuhli loaches in the sense that they end up in the strangest places and awkward positions. Their interesting behavior and feeding habits are a treat to watch too.

Beautiful fish and tanks! The other fish I really love from Congo are the larger and more unusual lampeyes - Plataplochilus especially. They would seem to combine well with many of your fish.

The Phractolaemus are fascinating! I had the chance to add them to my swamp monster at one point, but felt it was too busy and they would be at risk from my Hemichromis. If I did something similar again I would be tempted to given up on growing plants and keeping mid-sized cichlids and had them, mormyrids and Distichodus decemmaculatus or teugelsi and a bigger group of Plataplochilus as a Congo tank instead!

Back