• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going Dutch by the book - tank sponsored by Tropica

Fantastic!
And so appreciate the time you take to photograph the individual plants :clap:
I always wish that Lobelia would retain that lovely purple~.green leaf once submersed.
Did plants & substrate etc ship direct from Tropica?
Can you remind me of tank dimensions, please

Yes, it would be wonderful to have that plant with that color.
Yes, from Tropica.
It's 300l - 120x50x50 cm. Sorry... I have to post the setup...

Remember Dutch style is about trimming a lot too, off to a good start though!:clap:

Yes, and it would probably start this weekend :wideyed:

I start dreaming with this tank, with a big school of tiny fish (Some Pedro´s aquascapes told me he likes really tiny fish) and the huge lush aquarium plants !!

Don't know about that. In Aquascapes we have to use small fish... but here... don't really know :rolleyes:

I think the aquarium size is too small. you need at least 450 liters. a beautiful Dutch scape is around 600-700 liters

Great start! I'll be expecting some journal videis too like your two other recent scapes..

First week is over. Everything growing very well.
Three water changes (tuesday, friday and sunday).
Made very few trimming to control some plants, mainly Myriophyllum mattogrossense that is growing very fast and Bacopa Caroliniana was spreading horizontally.
Some few cuttings on Althernathera and Staurogyne to fill some gaps.
Utricularia graminifoli is there and growing. Keeping my finger crossed :)

I'm increasing fertilisation this week.

These pictures were taken during and after the last Sunday water change.

Day 8

20150927-day8-1.jpg

20150927-day8-2.jpg

20150927-day8-3.jpg

20150927-day8-4.jpg

Rotala Macandra is getting beautiful. Great colours already but will be better.

20150927-day8-5.jpg

20150927-day8-12.jpg

Ludwigia Palustris is also having a great red color with only one week underwater.

20150927-day8-6.jpg

20150927-day8-9.jpg

Staurogyne Repens

20150927-day8-7.jpg

20150927-day8-11.jpg

Myriophyllum mattogrossense

20150927-day8-8.jpg

Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'

20150927-day8-10.jpg

Limnophila hippuridoides

20150927-day8-13.jpg

Pedro.

Great growth after just one week! I'm sure this will be a stunnning dutch scape. I'm very tempted to copy you and go dutch at some point.

Hi Pedro,
Looking great so far!

Can I just ask what your opinion is on the difference between the Tropica Soil and Powder compared to the ADA Amazonia Soil and Powder?

I always found that the Amazonia powder was a bit too light weight to plant Utricularia Graminifolia and no matter what I tried, it would lift and float to the surface and disperse all around the tank. I see you have got Utricularia Graminifolia in the foreground and it looks fairly stable, is it anchored with anything?

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Pedro,
Looking great so far!

Can I just ask what your opinion is on the difference between the Tropica Soil and Powder compared to the ADA Amazonia Soil and Powder?

I always found that the Amazonia powder was a bit too light weight to plant Utricularia Graminifolia and no matter what I tried, it would lift and float to the surface and disperse all around the tank. I see you have got Utricularia Graminifolia in the foreground and it looks fairly stable, is it anchored with anything?

Steve, I like this soil. I used some powder at the top and planting was great.
Regarding UG, yes it's difficult :)
First week i replanted 3 or 4 pieces... i think it stopped but if i have to put Amano Shrimps in there, they'll destroy it :( (i hope not, din't expect diatoms)
If it wasn't on this powder soil i think that it would be much difficult.
But comparing this powder with aqua soil (for planting) i find no great differences.
Maybe the pinsettes?

Pedro.

Some news...

Cryptocorine increased the melting but new leafs are also appearing. Something expected.
Eleocharis sp. is melting :meh: ... something that i also saw before.
Yesterday i had to make some serious trimming on Myriophyllum mattogrossense because it was starting to make shadow to the neighbours... was afraid specially of Ludwigia Palustris that is growing very well but much lower.
Also trimmed HZ to make a good separation from Luwigia Palustris.

I suppose Steve make some kind of voodoo after yesterday reply :D. Yesterday night, when I arrived at home, i had 3 pieces of UG on top of the water... replanted and it's growing nicely but don't tell anyone just yet :doctor:

Beautiful, Pedro. As always.

Just off topic slightly but what do you use to refill/empty your tank? The hose setup always looks interesting but I guess you have some sort of pump at the other end?

Beautiful, Pedro. As always.
Just off topic slightly but what do you use to refill/empty your tank? The hose setup always looks interesting but I guess you have some sort of pump at the other end?

I use a hose with that accessory you see at the end and on the other side just another accessory to connect it to the tap. To get the water out, I just suck it to the tub - gravity is a good pump when you can use it :D

Back