• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going Dutch by the book - tank sponsored by Tropica

Hi Pedro,

never noticed it before... what kind of LEDs are you using?
Looks like a FrankenLED created out of 4 ADA Aquasky lights?

Cheers,
Chris

Very simple, do you just dose the entire tank with dechlorinater after that?

Yes I use the amount described on the product i use at that time (have used some brands lately). Buttony when i have fish or shrimp. At this time i'm not using any dechlorinater.
I try to dose as i put water in.

Hi Pedro,
never noticed it before... what kind of LEDs are you using?
Looks like a FrankenLED created out of 4 ADA Aquasky lights?
Cheers,
Chris

Yes, it's something like that. They're 4x of them (MAS WAS not ADA) on a stand made by my local fish shop (Aquaeden). They're very good looking and i have very good results with them.
I have some pictures of them from the previous aquarium.

calha-led-aquaeden-2.jpg

calha-led-aquaeden-3.jpg

calha-led-aquaeden-4.jpg

calha-led-aquaeden-5.jpg

calha-led-aquaeden-6.jpg

calha-led-aquaeden-7.jpg

You haven't kept aquaria if you haven't sucked up a large sip of tank water!:cool:

hehe, it's good to be understood :)

I use a hose with that accessory you see at the end and on the other side just another accessory to connect it to the tap. To get the water out, I just suck it to the tub - gravity is a good pump when you can use it

So you are just using water straight out of the tap, add dechlorinator job done. No RO or HMA Filter?

Is your tap water really good quality?

Steve

So you are just using water straight out of the tap, add dechlorinator job done. No RO or HMA Filter?
Is your tap water really good quality?
Steve

Yes, I never had any problems with the tap water. I don't remember exactly the parameters (i can test it if yo guys wish) but never had any problem. I use to share my journals and in all those journals i never used any RO water or water bought in supermarkets, etc.
I remember that in 2 tanks i used a product from Equo to bring the GH up a little but only that.

Am i lucky? What are the problems you have?

Pedro.

Time for some updates.
Two posts: this one for two photo days over the week; the next one with the trimming of last sunday-

All plants are very well except for the melting of Eleocharis sp.

Day 11

20150930-day11-1.jpg

Some in situ photos:

20150930-day11-2.jpg

20150930-day11-3.jpg

Rotala Macandra - 1-2-grow!

20150930-day11-4.jpg

Pogostemon Erecturs - 1-2-grow!

20150930-day11-5.jpg

Two days later... keep on growing

Day 13

I had a translucid background that i took out so that a black background could bring out the colors.

20151002-day13-1.jpg

Some details:

Limnophila hippuridoides

20151002-day13-2.jpg

Ludwigia Palustris

20151002-day13-3.jpg

Day 15

Trimming day! :nurse:
I made very small trims before but this day i used the scissor a lot more.
Before the cutting and water change it was like this:

20151004-day15-1.jpg

Some thoughts / ideas / methods... :bookworm:

With only two weeks my main concern has been filling the gaps and at the same time having gaps between the different plants :bored:
Obviously that the Myriophyllum mattogrossense was in an urgent need for trimming... and i've trimmed it before (just a small number of stems overgrowing Ludwigia Palustris). I made a huge trim on all stems. It was hiding some light from they neighbours! Will see how it'll be trimmed in the future but lots of work ahed!

I've been making very small trims in some plants: Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini', Pogostemon Helferi and Staurogyne Repens.
I've been cutting some small stems at the front and planted at the back so that it can fill the place quicker (or even in the middle if i needed).

Rotala Macandra I haven't touched it yet but i'm going to cut right on the substrate and replant when reach the needed height. This plant does not react well to cuttings (does not grow well after have been cut and creates another two stems).

For Limnophila hippuridoides, Heteranthera Zosterifolia, Bacopa caroliniana, I will trim around 1/3 of the higher stems on each trimming session. This should make it look good most of the times.

Murdannia Keijak can prove to be a little more difficult to use this method and i'll see how it will grow. It's branching very good!

So, after the trimming, this was the result (you can easily compare with the previous picture):

20151004-day15-3.jpg

Another before/after trimming:

(before)
20151004-day15-2.jpg

(after)
20151004-day15-4.jpg

More pictures of after trimming:

20151004-day15-5.jpg

Limnophila hippuridoides starting to have some colors:

20151004-day15-6.jpg

Rotala Macandra (similar picture from the previous post):

20151004-day15-7.jpg

Pedro.

Thanks for the detailed update :)

In an odd way I'm rather pleased about your Eleocharis sp melt as I've yet to have any success with this plant, it seems to melt shortly after introduction to my tank, or slowly just disappears after seeming to not melt :confused: - it's not available frequently so I'm waiting on a third attempt - it's rated "easy" by Tropica & it certainly seems so in it's "plant handling video"
Hopefully your plants get going in the next weeks.

Yes, I never had any problems with the tap water. I don't remember exactly the parameters (i can test it if yo guys wish) but never had any problem. I use to share my journals and in all those journals i never used any RO water or water bought in supermarkets, etc.
I remember that in 2 tanks i used a product from Equo to bring the GH up a little but only that.

Am i lucky? What are the problems you have?

Pedro.

Pedro,
I think we're very lucky, our water is near 'perfect'. Believe it, or not, is better to drink than 'most' bottled water in the supermarkets!
Let's keep fingers cross and hope the same quality of supply in the next years.
cheers

Sorry Pedro,
I know you love to play with wood and rocks, but this one is my favorite!
I saw that you have a few extra space in the stand for a larger tank, maybe 150... that's tempting...
I also prefer the black background.
Nice cut, you must have lot's of fun trimming that one!
cheers

Thanks Tiago.

:rolleyes: What? Larger Aquarium? Why? What? :rolleyes:
A possibility but not for now...

It's fun because i don't have any rocks and specially wood that makes the whole job difficult.

First 40 fish arrived. Blame it on Flygja avatar for the choice :D : Tetras Congo.
Still very white but they'll be much better on the next months. Lets see how they will grow.

For those that don't know the fish, here it is a photo from wikipedia and a video from Flygja post here on UKAPS (hope you don't mind). Mines are much smaller.

Phenacogrammus_interruptus_(aka).jpg

(flygja video)

Good choice of fish I absolutely love those it is just a shame my local tap water is way too hard for them

"at the same time having gaps" I was looking at this and wondering the same thing this morning. I'll be interested in seeing the process of deciding who gets what space.

Great tank!

Back