• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Gold fish pond and summer house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franks

This will be where I document my build.

I’ve a 7ft Summer house en route. Prepped the area of conifers and done some trenching for SWA install with 5 point switching box.

The foundation for the Summer house is in too!

Lots more work to do... I’m thinking a 10ft rocked pond with cascade and sidewall skimmer which houses the pond pump fixed into the liner - If i can find a supplier in the U.K!

Photos to follow.

Found a local guy selling approx 3-4 tonnes of rock. Only problem - I had to shift it all for £50.

6 hours later it’s home, jetwashed and racked ready for the task ahead.

Attachments

• 6E35701E-3C8A-4E24-8585-6F0EB380CE70.png
    6E35701E-3C8A-4E24-8585-6F0EB380CE70.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 246
  • 86D2B152-4E38-4026-97FE-5BBF7004FB9C.jpeg
    86D2B152-4E38-4026-97FE-5BBF7004FB9C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 240
  • E89C206F-7711-4789-98C1-0007AA3DEF31.jpeg
    E89C206F-7711-4789-98C1-0007AA3DEF31.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
Busy day!

The last photo was 2 hours of pneumatic SDS drilling, digging and forking to get out that roof bed! If I can’t get a proper sidewall skimmer for the pond, I’ll have to resort to a pressure filter housed in the ground here.

Attachments

• A3BAACC5-EA36-4C32-AB16-AD66B0DADC3B.jpeg
    A3BAACC5-EA36-4C32-AB16-AD66B0DADC3B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 234
  • 99BDAFF2-6ADC-489D-8DFC-DDF2DBFC65FB.jpeg
    99BDAFF2-6ADC-489D-8DFC-DDF2DBFC65FB.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 233
  • F47FE495-D193-4AAC-94C4-231661A9903B.jpeg
    F47FE495-D193-4AAC-94C4-231661A9903B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 257
  • 9D966D7D-2CB5-4043-AF15-FF48633C7ABE.jpeg
    9D966D7D-2CB5-4043-AF15-FF48633C7ABE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 246
  • 097E1667-9CA3-477D-9A97-57660B1FA7EF.jpeg
    097E1667-9CA3-477D-9A97-57660B1FA7EF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 244
  • E0F93F8E-9BB0-4BBE-B1EE-848015B8B680.jpeg
    E0F93F8E-9BB0-4BBE-B1EE-848015B8B680.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 226
Also dug out this hollowed tree stump where the pond will need to expand into and couldn’t quite find the heart to bin it so it’s been up-cycled

Attachments

• 1981EC1E-6E87-40F8-8565-A740DC225A2A.jpeg
    1981EC1E-6E87-40F8-8565-A740DC225A2A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 189
Just to clarify, it will be out side the summer house, sitting under the tree? (Or have I mis-understood?)

This will be where I document my build.

I’ve a 7ft Summer house en route. Prepped the area of conifers and done some trenching for SWA install with 5 point switching box.

The foundation for the Summer house is in too!

Lots more work to do... I’m thinking a 10ft rocked pond with cascade and sidewall skimmer which houses the pond pump fixed into the liner - If i can find a supplier in the U.K!

Photos to follow.

What’s SWA ?
Should be able to pick up a skimmer from any decent koi place
I’ve used one in the past with a floating weir on it
Worked a treat as I had a separate pump on it just with a Venturi return to add extra flow
The filter was fed from bottom drains for most of the year then in winter a side drain that was only 2ff down that had an elbow point upwards so as not to chill the bottom 4 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWA is Steel Wire Armoured cable. As the name implies it is electric cable with steel wire armour. (It has a black sheath over the armour) You can hit it with a shovel and you will need a new shovel. It is supposed to buried at least 450 mm below the surface, but seldom is. It will be his electrcity supply for pumps and UV etc.

Just to clarify, it will be out side the summer house, sitting under the tree? (Or have I mis-understood?)

It’ll start at the edge of the conifer line and come out into the lawn area. The hole is there from removing that bush (took me 2 hours due to roots tangle under fence post Crete and mingled in the adjacent conifers roots. I’ll use that whole to house a pressure filter or similar if required). To the right of that is where a five point isolation switch will be mounted so it’s relatively out of sight behind the conifers but still quite accessible.

The conifers don’t tend to shed anything annually but there are other trees close-by which do shed. I want the surface to be skimmed because of this. I believe in removing anything floating before it sinks and rots is the best method for keeping a clean pond. I’d also like to use UV - I’m just having trouble working out the exact kit required for adequate filtration, water fall flow and all while being incognito so it all looks quite natural.

The garden is south facing and that area gets full sun for most of the afternoon.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a consideration but it would take up quite a bit of space and height assuming I’d need a tub with lots of different graded media layers. It would also need to be in a place of sun not hindered by the conifers.

I think I’m swayed by the Oase biosys skimmer as this can house a submersible pump. I’ve also seen a cheap gravity fed £40 skimmer on eBay but that would need some form of pump integration to a pressure filter (with UV) then onto a waterfall.

Another concern I have is that a pump submerged in the skimmer body may be subject to more harm than if it were simply dumped in the pond due to the concentration of large mechanical contaminants and the chances of pieces breaking by the basket straight into the pump impellers.

Are AllPondSolutions pressure filters any good?

Busy day!

The last photo was 2 hours of pneumatic SDS drilling, digging and forking to get out that roof bed! If I can’t get a proper sidewall skimmer for the pond, I’ll have to resort to a pressure filter housed in the ground here.
Love the bridge and the bill and ben
Sat on the bridge

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That was a consideration but it would take up quite a bit of space and height assuming I’d need a tub with lots of different graded media layers. It would also need to be in a place of sun not hindered by the conifers.

I think I’m swayed by the Oase biosys skimmer as this can house a submersible pump. I’ve also seen a cheap gravity fed £40 skimmer on eBay but that would need some form of pump integration to a pressure filter (with UV) then onto a waterfall.

Another concern I have is that a pump submerged in the skimmer body may be subject to more harm than if it were simply dumped in the pond due to the concentration of large mechanical contaminants and the chances of pieces breaking by the basket straight into the pump impellers.

Are AllPondSolutions pressure filters any good?
Hi frank. In the koi world. Pressure filters are frowned upon.
Because of all the labour in cleaning
Such as the foams.
But in a small gold fish pond. I don t see a problem.
When you buy your kit. Work on the rule of thumb.
Of liters in the pond. Or gallons like me old school and double or treble it.
Like say 5000gallons so buy a 15000 gallon pump and filter.
Or 1000 gallons .3000 gallon filter pump
That way you always have enough.
UV wise 10 watts per 1000 gallon
Hope this helps
Fred

Hi frank. In the koi world. Pressure filters are frowned upon.
Because of all the labour in cleaning
Such as the foams.
But in a small gold fish pond. I don t see a problem.
When you buy your kit. Work on the rule of thumb.
Of liters in the pond. Or gallons like me old school and double or treble it.
Like say 5000gallons so buy a 15000 gallon pump and filter.
Or 1000 gallons .3000 gallon filter pump
That way you always have enough.
UV wise 10 watts per 1000 gallon
Hope this helps
Fred

I found that bridge with guy fishing off it buried under the conifers under loads of mulch. I was half expecting to find an abandoned wildlife pond under there with it!

Sadly, it’s now in the local waste disposal!

are AllPondSolutions pressure filters any good?

AllPondSolutions appear to be a "Badge company" they buy stuff in and put their badge on it. As for are pressure filters any good, you have to understand why they exist. The traditional "box filter" is sitting adjacent the pond with the outlet sitting over the pond or at the top of a "water way" The water is pumped to the filter and returns by gravity.

This setup works very well (And has done for many years) but the only "problem" is that the box filter can be an "eyesore" so people have come up with different ways of hiding / disguising them.

Enter the pressure filter.

The pressure filter is still fed by the same pump as used in a box filter set up, but it is sealed and can be buried in the ground (Only its lid protruding) thereby removing the need to disguise it.

They can have a variety of "issues" some of the cheaper ones must be buried in the ground as they have been known to split, so losing all the pond water. Being as most have an integral UV you are stuck with that particular one, and can not change it (If you have a box filter its common NOT to have an integral UV so you can have any size / brand that you choose, and it is easy to change) I have heard of some pressure filters that if the UV fails, you have to change the whole filter, not just the UV. Unlike box filters, you can not open them while they are working, since they are pressurised

They do have the advantage that some are "self-cleaning" (You turn a knob and the water back flushes to waste cleaning the filter medium)

Me, I think they are a clever idea, but over priced and are just not for me. But at the end of the day it's your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back