• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Golden Lazer Cory Price

Colin

Hi,

About three years ago a bought 6 small Golden Lazer Cory’s I now have around 30 of them in a 180 ltr low tech tank.

The reason I have around 30 is they won’t stop breeding. On One occasion I took out the eggs and got them to a good size and I thought I could sell them on but all I was offered was £1 each at my LFS so I kept them.

This seems very low considering they are on sale from £15 to £28 each, What do you all think, I am not really trying to make a great deal of money out of selling fish as I just don’t have the time but I also don’t want to be overrun with Cory’s I can’t get rid of.

I also have two breeding pairs or Blue Zebra Angel Fish in a 600 ltr High tech tank; they keep eating their eggs currently. I used to breed Angle Fish years ago and got them to a good size

What would you think is a fair price Golden Lazer Cory’s in the UK

Thanks

Col

Hi all,
I thought I could sell them on but all I was offered was £1 each at my LFS so I kept them.
This seems very low considering they are on sale from £15 to £28 each
You never get much money if you can sell your fish back to a LFS. They pay relatively little for them wholesale and <"they pay you even less">, usually as a credit note.

Private sale is a better option, but you need to live somewhere where there are plenty of fish-keepers. I struggled to give away Apistogramma trifasciata, there wasn't much demand for them locally and they aren't a very attractive juvenile fish, at the same time they were for sale at ~£20 a pair in the shop.

I don't know where you live? But you could try <"Tim Addis (TA aquaculture)"> he may be interested and will tell you what they are worth.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Can't really argue with the advice above. I used to run a shop and would give people store credit for locally bred stuff simply because I prefered it to imported stock (if they knew what they were doing and had quality control) but i had to have had a relationship with the person offering the fish because I liked to know they knew what they were doing and had quality control.
I'd be surprised if they weren't snapped up locally as they are a really sort after species. There might even be someone on here that wants some.

I think you’d sell them easily locally, as mentioned they are a sought after species. I’m not sure how large they are but I’d say around £10 for a sub-adult would be fair and around £15-£20 for a full grown conditioned fish. Also as the others have said where you live will also help determine a price.

cheers

Conor

Try the BAND app, Lots of fish groups and club members are on there. And fish sell quickly. Also Aquarist Classifieds has been around for years. And you have used it many times to buy and sell.

Hi all, thanks for getting back to me, I live in Warrington Cheshire and have a good relationship with my LFS’s.

I just feel £1 for a relative expensive fish is a bit low, as I said I’m not looking at making a large amount of money from this I just want a fair price.

As it stands I made a real mess trying to get this current batch of eggs out and most dropped to the bottom of the tank, they didn’t seem to be as sticky as previous batches, I did get some out.

I will see if I can sell some privately. I will have to sell some at some point as I feel I have too many in a 180 ltr tank which also has around another 12 tetras.

I was going to redo this tank during the summer until covid 19 hit.

Thanks again

Col

Back