• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good Morning......

Johnnyboy1965

Seedling
A quick intro...After keeping a marine reef aquarium for over 20 years, the display tank (600li) was looking a bit shabby, so I gave away all my SPS and LPS corals and my cousin took my 1 remaining fish (Mr Wiggles, yellow banded clownfish) Ive had this fish for 19 years and gave away all the equipment. I said Id never have a fish tank again.
This was 6 months ago, but as you know, once you get your cuffs wet you cant change.
I decided to design a 50gl plant only "indoor, underwater garden"...must stress again...no fish will be kept in this display....More to follow.

My design plan, which was originally on a few pieces of scrap paper, has now turned into book, that would put "War and Peace" to shame.
I bought, collected, aquired and even stole (pub size CO2 bottle, not really stole, just on permanent loan from the company I work for) all the equipment needed.
When I learn how to post a photo I will do.

Mistakes I`ve made along they way :-

Should have buried the tubing for the CO2 underneath the substrate (now rectified).
Mahogany tree stumps take a lot longer to sink than you think they would. Ive had it soaking for 3 months, boiled weekly and still not 100% sunk...Its held down with a well placed house brick.
Substrate..my own mix...70% aquatic compost - 20% horticultural grit - 10% John Innes No3..There is nothing wrong with this, it is a good mix, good growth...I decided to cap it with Prodibio Aquagrowth Plant Soil. When they state that this product does not need to be rinsed, they lied. Whilst I was putting it in, I thought that this needs to be rinsed. checked on their website "no need to be rinsed"...IT NEEDS RINSING.

Apart from that, everything went to plan

Johnnyboys Top Tip....DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES GOLD PLATED EYEBROW TWEEZERS TO PICK OFF
009.JPG
009.JPG DEAD LEAVES........It just causes arguments

Johnnyboys Top Tip....DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES GOLD PLATED EYEBROW TWEEZERS TO PICK OFF DEAD LEAVES........It just causes arguments
And don't use her tights as filter media bags either. But on the other hand, needs must...:D

Tim, I like you already...Short story...I planted a twisted hazel that needed staking, best thing to tie young trees is "tights"
Me..."have you any old tights ?"
Wife.."Upstairs, washing box"
Me .."fine Ive got them"
Wife .."Johnny, where are my brand new really expensive tights?"
Me "ermmmm"

Ive also got and recorded all the Latin names of my plants.
Center Top...Brickus Brickiia...a very rare specimen ...slow grower, 99p from Homebase, easy to grow, but doesn`t seem to do a lot

Back