Good ph and kh pen?

Jona$

Have Jbl dropkit but Think its hard to reed sometimes, is there a better way. As a good ph and kh pen or some like it.

Nothing with just guessing or malfunction after 5 readings.

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
I have Jbl dropkit but Think its hard to reed sometimes, is there a better way. As a good ph and kh pen or some like it. Nothing with just guessing or malfunction after 5 readings.
There isn't really a <"good cheap, accurate pH meter">. They are quite complicated bits of kit, and you need one with two point buffering etc.

Carbonate hardness is a bit different, there <"isn't really a meter for it">, but you can <"measure alkalinity"> via an <"acid base titration"> (using an acid of known strength). That is what the Jbl test kit does.

My suggestion is to <"buy a conductivity meter">. The conductivity of your tap water is fairly closely correlated with its hardness (both dKH & dGH), because most of the ions will be Ca++ and HCO3- ions which come from dissolved limestone (CaCO3).

I measured the conductivity of the <"water in the tanks, water butts and tap supply"> a few days ago. The readings were:
  1. Water butt = 90 microS
  2. Tank = 104 microS
  3. Drinking water tap = 680 microS
  4. Softened water (<"ion exchange with NaCl">) = 740 microS
cheers Darrel