• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good quality flake food recommendations needed

Robbie X

Hi all.
What brand flake and frozen foods do people recommend these days?
I also plan on feeding live foods, where is the best place to get starter cultures?
It will be a shrimp/fish/snail community tank housing:
Ramshorn snail
Nerite snail
Cherry shrimp
Green neon tetras
Chilli Rasboras
Panda corys
Kuhli loach
Whip tail catfish

Cheers

Fluval bug bites are my weapon of choice on the dry food side. They do a few different varieties, but for smaller fish the smaller tropical granules are good:

Fluval Bug Bites Tropical Granule Fish Food 45g
Amazon product ASIN B07194GD1F
They do tend to sink quite quickly though, so I’ve recently been trying the colour enhancing flake variety. Crushed between the fingers and sprinkled on the surface, it’s perfect for small surface feeders like chilli’s as it stays there for some time giving them time to pick at it. They really seem to like it.

Fluval Bug Bites Color Enhancing Flakes 45g
Amazon product ASIN B0874XYL3K
For live foods it’s hard to go wrong with a grindal worm culture, which you can source on eBay or from a member on here. I’d offer you some of mine, but I’ve just split my culture to share with another member. You can also hatch live brine shrimp which the fish go mad for also.

Live foods from water butts during the summer work well too if you have one, or set up a plastic container with some dried oak leaves in the bottom in the spring if not. I did that this year (as I don’t have a water butt), set up a 70 litre storage box in the garden and seeded it with some hatched Moina, and it was really successful and productive.

I don’t use frozen food, I always find they’re too big for my fish, so someone else will need to help you there with some suggestions.

The snails can likely exist on whatever is in the tank, though if you end up with a large population of them, you can supplement with cucumber slices and Hikari algae wafers.

Last edited:
I use Tetramin and Aquarian flakes .The Tetra have a very fine texture does say on wont cloud water . The Aquarian more "dense" I think thats because its saturated with vitamins. Also use Hikari mini granules very good for smaller fish. Bug bites and the bottom fish Bugbites ideal for target feeding catfish. Live daphnia bloodworm and brine shrimp occasionally. Frozen foods in stores l look for a good name if possible but use sparingly. Most of my fish are small.

Recently a few months introduced to ottos doin a brilliant job so supplement with a spinach leaf left in for 24 hours every few days. Tetramin wafer mix for bottom feeders

As wookie suggested Bug bites seem quite popular with most of my small fish, if you wanted to culture any live food grindal worms or micro worms for very small fish are good. I also feed baby brine shrimp the Hobby brine shrimp hatcher is brilliant would defiantly recommend it if going the brine shrimp route much easier than bottles and air pumps etc.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...iP1oj4tN7zAhU8R_EDHQuKBDsQ9aACegQIARBQ&adurl=

As wookie suggested Bug bites seem quite popular with most of my small fish, if you wanted to culture any live food grindal worms or micro worms for very small fish are good. I also feed baby brine shrimp the Hobby brine shrimp hatcher is brilliant would defiantly recommend it if going the brine shrimp route much easier than bottles and air pumps etc.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...iP1oj4tN7zAhU8R_EDHQuKBDsQ9aACegQIARBQ&adurl=
I have never seen this hatcher. Just ordered it and the egg/salt mix 👍

I purchased the suggested Bugbites foods plus they’re bottom feeder products along with some spirulina flakes. I also purchased some freeze dried bloodworm and a brine shrimp hatcher. I read that the bloodworm once hydrated are also used to feed my insectivorous plants which is a bonus 👍
I have a nice colony of dafnia in a small tank and waterbut in the garden.
I plan on feeding a varied diet to keep my fish and inverts healthy 😻

Back