• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good substrate covering plant.

Gents

Could you please advise on an good substrate covering plant, nothing to low or to high - i am going to visit The green machine over the Christmas period and I wish to purchase my plants from them.

Regards

Paul.

im having great difficulty in growing that, but there again, im not injecting much co2. and lighting isnt great. however i have had no new growth from it despite ferts easycarbo and substrate fertilisers. i am going to try glosso in my next tank as i think that may grow a fair bit easier.

The best carpeting plant for you is going to depend a lot on your tank conditions. If you have a high tech set up with 2WPG or over then you can grow Glosso, HC, Eleocharis spp., Marsilea, Lileopsis, Riccia (tied to stones) and among others. If you're not high tech then your choices are bit more restricted! Personally I like Glosso and HC as they form nice tight carpets, but I find Glosso much easier to grow than HC. Eleocharis gives you more of a lawn than a carpet IMO.

Midnight said:
Have you considered Staurogyne ?
http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Aquatics/_049G/-/Staurogyne sp.

I planted a couple of pots in my low light tank in October and it's doing very well.It covers almost half of the bottom foreground already. It grows about 8cm high if left alone but I just keep cutting to tops off and replanting them to make an ever increasing carpet.
got a pic mate? im interested to see this, becuase i thought about using staurogyne

Nick16 said:
got a pic mate? im interested to see this, becuase i thought about using staurogyne
How's this?

staurogyne.jpg

Grows just fine using James' All-in-one less than 1WPG in 325ltr tank

Wasn't it TDI that used blyxa all the way across ?

Really does depend what you want, I found my glosso grew too quickly for me to be able to keep up with it, HC on the other hand is giving me a nice carpet and a steady growth rate. I've also got Lileopsis Brasiliensis growing well in with HC (had to do that because the Nerites kept going under the HC and uprooting it)

Back