• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Graffiti-ing Nerite?

joeinlondon

Has anyone had any experience of a zebra nerite (or similar species) leaving little white blobs all over the place? In the previous incarnation of my tank I picked one up and within a few days these blobs appeared, and stopped appearing when the snail was removed.

I don't have any pictures I'm afraid but the blobs were about 2-3mm across, rounded, oval, and a sort of transluscent to opaque white. They are very difficult to remove - in fact the tank in question, half a year on and with a complete strip-down in between, still has a few on the back glass that I didn't get off completely.

I'd like to add a nerite to a different tank but am worried about similar vandalism. Were these blobs its faeces? Its eggs (unlikely in a soft-water tank I would have thought)?

Thanks

Joe

So if it lays eggs in your tank you're Kilroy Silked - 'cos they won't hatch and just calcify into eyesores perhaps...

Yeah that's them! Thanks Andy.

And to nerites eveyrwhere, I apologise for my terrible slander.

But these limpets - are they immobile? Do I just leave them to it (if they re-appear) or try to remove them?

I don't mind them being in there as long as they are harmless, and won't be a permanent stationary feature!

Just for your interest get a dry wipe or permanent marker and put a dot where the 'limpet' is. come back in an hour and you will see the 'limpets' have moved. they are actually snails.

Nothing to worry about. Apparently they are a snail that only lives in very good freshwater conditions. Mine were there for about a month and then just disappeared!!! I assume my water didn't take a sudden nosedive in quality so they must just appear and then disappear for the same strange reason.

No idea where they came from. Maybe a plant, maybe the tap. Who knows?

I would just leave them there and curse them for ruining your photographs and they should disappear by themselves.

AC

Back