• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

grass background

samc

hi all i feel a bit confused at the minuet as im planning my next tank which will be low growing. my idea was to use mainly grasses and wanted to use blyxa and acicularis but cant think which would grow taller. bylxa infront of acicularis or acicluaris infront of blyxa? i cant make my mind up. also would there be anything that would grow taller say 15-20cm tall? i just cant think :?

I would have your substrate banked so it's taller at the back, and have the blyxa at the rear. The bigger leaves would look a bit odd infront of the grass IMO unless it was like a feature :)

acicularis behind the blyxa. every time. just google amano. he uses acicularius all the time, unless on it's own it's used in the rear or around stones. lower light produces taller growth, obviously higher light makes it bend a little.

you could use it to accent areas in the forground, but plant sparingly as it'll take over in no time!

acicularis will grow to 20cm no probs if left alone

thanks for the info guys i agree with u both but because like saintly says acicluaris will grow to 20cm it would be bigger than the blyxa but i think ill mix the blyxa with some e tennelus or should i put that behind or infront of the blyxa :oops: the thing is iv never had blyxa so iv never had experience with the growth pattern

saintly said:
in my 60 x 30 x 36 it touched the top. and in my 35l arcadia. you sure it was acicualris and not parvula?....

Definitely acicularis :) Bought from a garden centre pond plant section (£3 for a 10x10cm tub! Much cheaper than buying a little pot, and probably about 20 pots worth!)

samc said:
blyxa with some e tennelus or should i put that behind or infront of the blyxa

remember there's no right or wrong, but i'd put tenellus at the side of blyxa or behind. something to think about....blyxa and tenellus can look the same. until tenellus is trimmed, then it grows shorter and redder IME.

also rmember that tenellus is very invasive! i'm having difficulty in stopping it crawling over every other plant in my MA scape.

look at my ma scape and see how the same plants look together.

_MG_9753-01.jpg

blyxa, left and right corners. tenellus behind blyxa. and side of stones. acicualris sparingly planted...heavy at back. pictue dont show this.

you gota think about the long term effect your after. blyxa, left alone will of course grow massive, but trimmed can be kept at a certain height. same with acicualris

ime, Parvula is much shorter and bends/curls a lot compared to Acicularis. I never got mine (from Steve and also some extra from MA) to get taller than 10cm.

ignore the crap scaping, but this was roughly 20cm. it ended up much taller still.i've managed to get it to do it on most occasions. thats how i see it in amano tanks too

_MG_9366-01-1.jpg

To continue the Acicularis mystery, heres pics of mine from my low light setup I mentioned earlier:

Just planted:

Tree_scape_march.jpg

After a month:

Tree_scape_april_01.jpg

It never got any longer then this really.

Anyhow, nice example pic. Blyxa might give you a nice contrasting texture.

Back