• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

grass like background plant for nano

hellohefalump

For my new nano (12*8*8) I'm wanting a plant that's grass like and tall (although not that tall, being a nano) to go in the background. A bit like vallis but preferably thinner leaved, shorter and with a liking for easycarbo!

What about Cyperus Helferi? Does anyone have any experience with it? Would you recommend it?

Any other ideas? Tank will have 22watts of light over it, ADA aquasoil, easy carbo, ferts etc. And cherry shrimp.

Real hairgrass, eleocharris accularis, I don't know if it's that readily available though.

It never did for me, tallest it ever got was 3". 22w over 3 gallons would be super highlight, and keep it no doubt even smaller.

well it grew tall for me, there was another thread on this discussing that there isnt much difference between the two, here is a pic at 5"

Untitled.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3373&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=eleocharis+parvula

In the end no confirmation on the size of either was produced, so i guess it will have to stay at pot luck lol

Thanks guys

I already have e.parvula in my 100gal and I think it will be too short. In my 100gal it's growing to about 5cm tall.

I looked at blyxa, but it might be a bit short too?

I thought vallis doesn't like easycarbo?

I don't mind if it reaches the top and keeps on growing across the surface (although within reason) like vallis does.

You could always use Eleocharis vivipara instead. That will certianly trial along the surface... Don't plant it unless you're going to able to keep trimming it when the adventitious plantlets get going though.

how do trim E.parvulus? can you just cut the top off? like a lawn mower does to grass? or does this damage them?

Ed I googled Eleocharis vivipara and it looks like what i'm looking for, so big big thankyou!

Nick, yeah you just cut it like you're mowing a lawn. It doesn't damage it, it encouages it to grow more densely actually. Make sure you're holding onto the bit you're cutting though, or you'll be fishing out bits of hairgrass for weeks.

I might give it a try. See how it goes, and if I don't like it, put it in my 100gal and get the E.vivipara.

I'll do it that way round because I read once you've got the vivipara you can't get rid of it.

hellohefalump said:
I might give it a try. See how it goes, and if I don't like it, put it in my 100gal and get the E.vivipara.

I'll do it that way round because I read once you've got the vivipara you can't get rid of it.

It's a pest but it's not that bad! I have moved it between three tanks since I got it and only have it in the one it's supposed to be in each time! You just have to make sure you get all the bits up and don't let it mix with lots of stems when it's a real pain. In a set up with no other tall plants it should be pretty easy to control.

Back