• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grassy Cliffs - 2ft

I have some very very slight green dust like algae on some rocks so ive started to dose Potassium Phosphate in for form of Seachem - Flourish Phosphorus (left over from a older setup)... kind of looking forward to going with dry ferts when all this stuff runs out, I am never to sure exactly what I am putting in with the premixed suff and most info on the forums seems to reference dry fert quantities... I have just started dosing 1.5ml of Flourish Phosphorus which seems to be the beginner dosage for this size tank...

2ft-06-09-2016.jpg

Hi all,
Nice tank, I'm not usually an iwagumi fan (if you keep fish in them), but the fish should be quite happy in there.<"Certainly do">.<"Limnobium laevigatum">. They are my preferred option for the <"Duckweed Index">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks agiain Darrel :thumbup:
So, this is your best advise for a floater? I am looking for one as well since i am having some algae as well.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/what-kind-of-algae-is-this.42751/#post-457879
Do you have other advice?

Thanks for the feedback guys, as someone said the floaters are "Frogbit" I will probably always keep some, I find they really help take up excess nutrients and probably balance the light a little, tho I should probably thin them out a bit.

Hi all,
You could use Phyllanthus fluitans, Pistia stratiotes, Hygroryza aristata.
Like "EdwinK" says it is really any-one you like the look of. It is the access to aerial CO2 that is important, it is discussed in <"Diana Walstad's book"> as the "aerial advantage".

I <"struggled with"> Hygroryza aristata and Phyllanthus eventually went under in the scum of floating plants, but Limnobium, <"Pistia"> and <"Salvinia auriculata group"> have all done well for me. Lemna minor tends to decline over time, and my floating Riccia is slowly losing the fight with Utricularia gibba. Low tech I think <"Azolla caroliniana"> may be advantageous because of its <"nitrogen fixing symbionts">.

I usually keep a mixture of floaters (below) because how they grow changes through the year with varying light levels etc.

top_view-jpg.41358.jpg

cheers Darrel

Very nice scape.. :). The whole setup realy contrasts in a nice mysterious way with the green and antracite colors in the rock, background and even the cabinet. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Growing well, getting a little GSA so I am tinkering with the level of Phosphate in my dosing, also need to give the glass a good clean, bit of brown diatoms around.

29072374553_972a5eb273_k.jpgGrassy Cliffs - 2ft Aquascape by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
updated FTS, changed co2 to a inline atomizer and running 24/7 at a very slow bps

29310251033_e2211b477a_k.jpg2ft Aquascape by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

updated FTS, changed co2 to a inline atomizer and running 24/7 at a very slow bps

29310251033_e2211b477a_k.jpg2ft Aquascape by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
Love this one!
Don't you think your short on co2 when lights are on? You dont have a magnetic valve?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One met Tapatalk

Love this one!
Don't you think your short on co2 when lights are on? You dont have a magnetic valve?

Thanks :) I do have magnetic valves / solenoids but in my 10g bookshelf tank I run co2 the same way (24/7 very slow rate) and the growth in that tank is great with very little / no algae, originally I did this because I didnt have a reliable check valve to stop water running back to the solenoid / regulator when it wasn't running, things looked good so decided to run with it, I was running co2 on a timer in this tank and to get the 1 point pH drop / 30ppm of co2 I had to start the co2 3 hrs before lights on at closer to 3/4bps, growth was not as good compared to my other tank and algae (GSA) was starting to appear, so far I have found that constant co2 seems to keep things stable with less co2 and more growth and in the end I am probably using less co2 this way. Not to sure if the constant co2 will help with GSA.

Thanks :) I do have magnetic valves / solenoids but in my 10g bookshelf tank I run co2 the same way (24/7 very slow rate) and the growth in that tank is great with very little / no algae, originally I did this because I didnt have a reliable check valve to stop water running back to the solenoid / regulator when it wasn't running, things looked good so decided to run with it, I was running co2 on a timer in this tank and to get the 1 point pH drop / 30ppm of co2 I had to start the co2 3 hrs before lights on at closer to 3/4bps, growth was not as good compared to my other tank and algae (GSA) was starting to appear, so far I have found that constant co2 seems to keep things stable with less co2 and more growth and in the end I am probably using less co2 this way. Not to sure if the constant co2 will help with GSA.
Hhm, interesting...i know fluctuating co2 levels are atracting to algae but i wonder how i get 30bppm during light time when i dont turn my co2 off without killing my fish...

Hhm, interesting...i know fluctuating co2 levels are atracting to algae but i wonder how i get 30bppm during light time when i dont turn my co2 off without killing my fish...

I probably am not getting 30ppm of co2 with this 24/7 method but in my 3ft bookshelf tank (also using 24/7 cos at 1 bubble every 4 seconds) the MC carpet pearls like crazy after about 1 hr of lights. Here is a video of the other tank pearling away taken awhile ago before the carpet really filled in, probably pearls harder now -

I am trying to match my drop checker and pH level with the bookshelf tank and with the slightly different water volumes and filters etc I have adjusted this tank to run at 1 bubble every 2 seconds. My shrimp seem very happy with the co2 levels, I will have to remove a cup of water, let it gas of and see what the ph difference is. Will report back!

I probably am not getting 30ppm of co2 with this 24/7 method but in my 3ft bookshelf tank (also using 24/7 cos at 1 bubble every 4 seconds) the MC carpet pearls like crazy after about 1 hr of lights. Here is a video of the other tank pearling away taken awhile ago before the carpet really filled in, probably pearls harder now -

I am trying to match my drop checker and pH level with the bookshelf tank and with the slightly different water volumes and filters etc I have adjusted this tank to run at 1 bubble every 2 seconds. My shrimp seem very happy with the co2 levels, I will have to remove a cup of water, let it gas of and see what the ph difference is. Will report back!

Nice one! How do you clean your stones in that one?

Nice one! How do you clean your stones in that one?

They have never been cleaned, tho its only been wet for about 40 days, this tank has been wet for about 70 days and has some GSA on the stones closest to the light. I have tried to work out my Co2 levels, I have a KH of 9 and PH of about 7.1 but i need to confirm my PH pen is collaborated, need some collaboration powders. So I should have about 20 - 25 ppm of co2.

24/7 Co2 seems to be going well, have upped PO4 dosage and GSA seems to be declining on the rocks, tho today i lowered the light by 1 inch which may bring on some more GSA, will keep a eye on it, removed the black background for cleaning purposed and didnt put it back.

29947641672_64c0287f98_k.jpg2ft Aquarium by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back