• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gravel and sand

ukteacherman

Seedling
I know some members will think this a real dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway! :? I want to put a "path" of some sort through my gravel layout. Will the sand and gravel eventually mix? If so, I have an idea to install a barrier between the gravel and sand. The barrier is made of thick plastice strip with gravel attached along the top and half way down the sides using sealant. Then plant Heminathus cuba in the gravel along the edge; but will a solid barrier have any effect on water circulation through the substrate? (Still trying to work out how to post a photo!).

It's not a dumb question at all. The only way to learn is to ask questions so ask away! The only thing I would suggest is search for similar topics before hand and you might find what you're looking for.

You could use sand for the path, although the gravel will most likely mix in so the barrier might be a good idea. You might find it easier to drain your tank first, although this might not be possible.

There is a topic on how to post photos somewhere but basically, just get the URL of the photo (getting a Photobucket account is a good idea) and then just put the address in image tags.

Hope this helps. :D

Can't help with the gravel/sand question but I can guarantee someone on here will. I would be interested to know the answer myself. :?

As far as the phots there is a walkthrough in the photography section. I think it's called "welcome to the white room" and is an excellent guide. One thing I had a problem with was the image hosting site that was recommended. I ended up using photobucket. Have a look and see. :)

The separator will not divide the tank from back to front - main purpose is a Cory playground! At last worked out how to post! Thanks for your help - this photo is of a prototype, (One I made earlier!!!!).
Dscf3981.jpg

I have a clear plastic divider in my sand foreground to separate my Hairgrass from my Glosso. It works fine and there are no problems. Persoanlly I'd go for a clear divider as it'll probably be much less obtrusive, but will be interested to see how your disguised one works.

Funny you should say that Ed, but I made a second one last night - from clear plastic! Can't decide what shape to have it yet until the two pieces of redmoor wood arrive fromTGM.

I found rather then using sand as or gravel as a bath, i used slightly larger stones. The path lasted a while and i just needed to move them back in line at a clean. Until the clown fish thought enough was enough and buried them! :rolleyes:

Back