• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green algae issues

Richard40

Hi im having some problems with my plants.

Trimmed my plants at the back right down, noticed a lot of the leaves were showing green spots or wasting away and some of the tips of the ferns are looking a different colour as if dying or have green spots. This must be something I can address so thought I’d ask for advice to get them green again. I’ve pulled as many leaves off that were green including the ferns.

Since I noticed this I’ve been doing 75% water changes every 3 days, this is only the second one I’ve done in 6 days so far. I’ve been dosing Ei ferts, micro one day and macro another day to their letter of law what they send out to you. It’s 23ml daily.

Maybe the leaves aren’t getting enough CO2, I’m not sure but sure someone will help clear it up. CO2 is coming on at 12, lights on at 3.15 till 10. Drop checker is lime green by 3.15/3.20 and stays that way until 10. So 7 hours and Twinstar is at 70%.

I have my neo diffuser on the left side of the tank, and the glass outlet lily pipe at the other side in the middle. Circulation via the Oase is at least three quarters flow. Lots of the bubbles are reaching the surface and staying there on the left hand side.

I still have slightly too many fish in there but can’t do anything about that at the moment. Currently at 36 until I can take 11 back.

Feeding wise Mon, Wed, Fri is either flake or pellet and a Plec pellet for two minutes. Tues and Thurs one block of frozen live food. Sat and Sun I don’t feed them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• F9D2F1D5-11FD-406F-9C4B-9C37CCA9B2E0.jpeg
    F9D2F1D5-11FD-406F-9C4B-9C37CCA9B2E0.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 84A7B70B-A303-4E15-8867-436AB3ED1A59.jpeg
    84A7B70B-A303-4E15-8867-436AB3ED1A59.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 041E7E13-C7AF-41F3-A3D1-DD790F936376.jpeg
    041E7E13-C7AF-41F3-A3D1-DD790F936376.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 171
  • ECCB26AD-BA6B-4F0C-8BB4-C767C210EC7D.jpeg
    ECCB26AD-BA6B-4F0C-8BB4-C767C210EC7D.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 185
I’ve 4 amanos, got another 6 coming today. Got 5 blue shrimp also arriving today. When I can get some am getting some Nerite snails. Maybe 3

I’ve 4 amanos, got another 6 coming today. Got 5 blue shrimp also arriving today. When I can get some am getting some Nerite snails. Maybe 3
If you can get the "Clithon Corona" Zebra/Bumble Bee Nerites.There smaller so can have a few more in the tank, also there far less likely to lay eggs in the tank.

Also once you have you fish stock levels down it would be worth while adding some Otocinclus as there very good CUC.

If you can get the "Clithon Corona" Zebra/Bumble Bee Nerites.There smaller so can have a few more in the tank, also there far less likely to lay eggs in the tank.

How many would you suggest of these 6?
Will get some OTO’s once I’ve moved my glass catfish to my smaller tank. Be a few weeks yet.

Hi im having some problems with my plants.
Maybe the leaves aren’t getting enough CO2, I’m not sure but sure someone will help clear it up. CO2 is coming on at 12, lights on at 3.15 till 10. Drop checker is lime green by 3.15/3.20 and stays that way until 10. So 7 hours and Twinstar is at 70%.

I have my neo diffuser on the left side of the tank, and the glass outlet lily pipe at the other side in the middle. Circulation via the Oase is at least three quarters flow. Lots of the bubbles are reaching the surface and staying there on the left hand side.

I'm no expert and currently have a thread running on Co2 profiling, but over the last few days the one thing i have discovered through others and ready threads for the likes of @Zeus. is that flow is king.

Have you created a Co2 profile from gas on until

Really depends on how much food is in the tank for the snails longterm.

I would add 1 snail per 10 litres of water (with other CUC) and 1 amano Shrimp per 10L

The biomass from CUC is tiny so in theory you can add as many as you like as long as there is food for them.

I’ve now 10 amano shrimp. No nerites yet but thinking 6 to start off with and once removed 8 glass catfish and two female Apisto’s I would also get 5 Oto’s.

Am going to to a PH check every half hour from lights on to lights off soon once my Hanna PH checker arrives.

Am going to to a PH check every half hour from lights on to lights off

Take pH from CO2 on till CO2 off, you can do it till lights off and see how much the pH increases after CO2 off for completeness ;)

I’ve also put a Twinstar steriliser in there this week, and off to buy 6 nerites tomorrow.
I’ve cut all the bad leaves and green algae leaves off. Been doing 75% water changes every 3 days and doing that for another week.
Noticed my tank was getting a lot of sunlight from the side where my bi-folds are during the day, so I’ve blocked it off from hitting the tank. This must have been a factor for the algae.
Light is on for 8 hours and 80% at the moment.

Light is on for 8 hours and 80% at the moment.
lights on at 3.15 till 10. Drop checker is lime green by 3.15/3.20 and stays that way until 10. So 7 hours and Twinstar is at 70%.

Which is it 8hrs or 7hrs ? But if having algae issues 6hrs is plenty, turn intensity down from 80 or 70 !

I’ve done 70% water changes for 2 weeks now every 3 days, stopped any daylight sun hitting the tank. Carried on with fertilisers, hoovered two buckets every time I do a water change and can see much better growth on the plants. I’ve added a Twinstar Nano, 6 zebra snails and 6 more amano shrimp. The only thing left to do is sell my 8 glass catfish which I’m trying to do as well as two female apisto’s to reduce stock. Should I now revert back to one 50% water change a week every Sunday?

Take pH from CO2 on till CO2 off, you can do it till lights off and see how much the pH increases after CO2 off for completeness ;)
PH checker arrived today, so will take these readings tomorrow and keep you posted.

If after 2 weeks of 70-75% water changes and moving to two 50% water changes a week, and no signs of new algae can you put the light up 10%? Then wait another 4-6 weeks?

Back