• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

green algae or not

Nelson Marto

HI, all,

My aquarium is about 300 liters, 1m front, twinstart 900EA, eheim professional4+ 600, pressurized CO2 with twinstart difusor (3 bubles per second). see picture.
I use fertilization guide from 2HR Aquarist, everything grows fine except bucephalandras, why they have algae and holes, if all the other plants are ok?
The anubias have also green spot, why?

I have the JBL aqua tests, and all parameters seemns ok.
My first idea was "to much light" but "java fern" grows clean and beautiful. And I saw in other tanks anubias and bucephalandras with more light than in my aquarium.
I don't understand...

Attachments

• InkedIMG_22_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_22_LI.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 193
Can you tell us what your water parameters are for dKH and dGH.

A decent amount of Micro element supply is really important for this plant.

Ensuring a good supply of Iron (using appropriate chelate for the water hardness), Manganese and Zinc will help prevent tissue loss in Bucephalandra (this is what worked for me). The pristine waters where Bucephalandra are present (where I have found water reports) have an average level for Manganese at 0.05mg/L.

I have limited Nitrate, Potassium and Phosphor for this plant and the only deficiencies I get is the plant scavenging the Nitrate from itself leading to loss of leaf colour and eventual excision of leaves. If I go lean or limit Micro the old tissue leaves will look shot blasted with holes or outright melt usually at the stem, new leaf growth dies before it has a chance to open up.

Bucephalandra will tolerate lower light than what would make Anubias suffer.

HI, my dKH is 2/3, ph 7.
GH I don't know but is low because my water is very soft.
Manganese is good, from the jbl test the color is "strong rose".
As I said, for macro I use 2HR Aquaris guide, but for micros I use easy life profito 15ml 3 times per week.

Does your water go a little cloudy/blue tinge when you dose the profito?

Also buce doesn't always thrive in new tanks, people suggest to add in the buce later when the tank is more established/balanced. In my new tank half my buce melted and went all floppy but i think that's more to do with my high water temp compared to the usual 22 degrees. But if your buce was struggling then maybe that's why it's the only plant with algae.

Hi,

No my water is not cloudy when adding profito.
About the age of the aquarium is 6 months, all (most part) plants inside have age.

I like so much buce, and in my aqua they are so ugly... :happy:
In the opposite side, I didn't like java fern petite, and in my aqua is very beautiful...

Hello,
I mean magnesium (Mg).
Now I research for Mn, is different sorry I didn't know about the importance of this.
Looking for rotala butterfly the result of weekly dose (40ml/w) is 0.0533ppm/week.
I don't have test for this, the value 0.0533/w is low or high?

Thanks

From my perspective for Buce it's a low value, 0.05mg/l per dose is better. Your Zinc dose is also very low @ 0.001mg/L, having a magnitude more would help.

I dose Micro 4x a week, each dose provides -

Fe 0.15mg/L
Mn 0.05mg/L
Zn 0.04mg/L
B 0.03mg/L
Cu 0.002mg/L
Mo 0.0015mg/L
Ni 0.0005mg/L

Manganese Sulphate and Zinc Sulphate are fairly easy to obtain if you wanted to supplement the Profitio with these extra elements.

Back