• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green dust algae

swyftfeet

Am I nuts, distinct possibility that I’m totally willing to entertain, or am I the only one that likes the look of it growing on the wood, glass and rocks?

The guppy mill has it growing in spades and I love it b/c the little buggers can eat it without me feeding them.

How do I keep it growing? Is this the kind that will go away as the tank matures?

Am I nuts, distinct possibility that I’m totally willing to entertain, or am I the only one that likes the look of it growing on the wood, glass and rocks?

The guppy mill has it growing in spades and I love it b/c the little buggers can eat it without me feeding them.

How do I keep it growing? Is this the kind that will go away as the tank matures?

Well, I used to have a nice chunk of hair algae on a pieces of wood growing near the surface in my shrimp tank. I did my best to cultivate it, trimming it etc. so it wouldn't spread, but just enough of it to give my shrimplets a place to be safe and munch. Eventually it just withered away over-taken by the plants. I guess I am just terrible at cultivating algae :)

1646268033896.png

And yes, your probably nuts... Just like the rest of us :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Depends how you maintain your tank but GDA usually appears during the early days of a tank. It is usually due to lower CO2 levels and low fert levels but higher light levels. Unless you are trying to breed shrimps and don't care about plants it might not be a good idea to keep that regime.

If you keep your maintenance, CO2 and fert up to par then this algae will disappear.

Depends how you maintain your tank but GDA usually appears during the early days of a tank. It is usually due to lower CO2 levels and low fert levels but higher light levels. Unless you are trying to breed shrimps and don't care about plants it might not be a good idea to keep that regime.

If you keep your maintenance, CO2 and fert up to par then this algae will disappear.
That’s really odd, the moneywort that I had melted in my journal tank, admittedly no clue what I’m doing, low light low ferts at the time. Subbwassertang doing poorly too, anubias nana and crypt w green and Java fern all doing ok tho.

However in the guppy mill with the Gda moneywort, subwassertang are doing great.

I don't mind it on hardscape - rocks in particular look a lot more natural with a light dusting of green algae. It's when it gets on plants it starts to look unattractive to me.

Back