• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

green floating algae

cliff

Seedling
Hi guys ive got a 190ltr fairly heavy planted tank, been up and runnig for around 3 months. currantly useing pressurised co2 and dosing with leaf zone once a week when doing a 25% water change and have a 1500ltr per hour pump for circulation. all going fine and well plants growing like wild but the surface of the water has developed a film with green particals on it witch i asume is algae, it sticks to every thing that passes through it. the water colume is crystal clear. any one got any ideas what it is and how to get rid.

I have and have had this in a few of my tanks, one way I managed to get rid of it was a complete strip down, which probably isn't a solution. I also put the outlet of the filter above the waters surface which I think causes the film to be sucked under water and the filter then removed it. This worked well on one tank. I did however have a tank that had it and it just stopped growing one day. A three day black out may have had something to do with that but not sure.

Sam

Fundamentally you need to review your nutrient dosing, CO2 injection rate and flow distribution. It's not clear whether your nutrient product has NPK or not. Depending on your lighting levels and plant biomass, a weekly dosing scheme could easily be inadequate.

Cheers,

Back