• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green Hair Algae!!!!!

I think he means suddenly stopping nutrients to plants would worsen the problem making plants less able to compete the hair algae but he says the vast percentage of algae and hair algae are first and formost CO2 related not enough or unstable levels

Makes good sense.

My notes on what i´m seeing.

Drop checker position is wrong. At the top is where we have most concentration of Co2. So it is not measuring the bottom where is most needed. So The dropchecker is not accurate to tell us something about co2 dissolution.
Even i don´t know if you´re using a 30 PPM solution. Is lime green?Ok. So what?
I have a 30PPm Cal Aqua calibrated solution and my plants only start to show improvements by the time i increase CO2 to the point where the solution is even not yellow but transparent.
So there you have.

I can see green algae inside tubes. Specially in the outflow. If the tube is like that maybe your filter need a clean up.

Now the algae.. One thing is for shure. Filamentous algae is due to poor CO2. So this scenario would indicate to us that the trilogy CO2+flow+distribution according to the lighting level was not optimized. But i believe it is to this set up and not for the plant itself. Cause the issue only concerns one plant. And that´s the point to focus.

Plants have different needs. And it is very hard to set up all the gear (light+co etc) in order to be optimized for all plants. So what should we do? Take a good care on where we root plants according to their needs and our gear.

For instance I have Taxi Spiky closely to lights and growing beautifully. This moss is shining beautifully.
And i also have Crhistmas Moss in an under level, more closely to substrate and the growth altough is being good with no algae at all is much slower and not so shiny or beautiful green. And why?

Moss needs lot´s of light. Needs to be in higher levels in the tank to be more closely to lights.

In your case that moss is far from lights. So regarding this the growth is compromised and there you have algae. You may have enough Co2 and nutrientes down there but not light enough for this baby.
Without enough light down there for the moss it´s not the co2 or flow that will save the moss. Light is energy.

I´m almost 100% shure that if you put that moss in a higher level you´ll see it growing very nicely.

So now you have two choices. Gave up of that moss cause down there you´ll have to much difficult to make it grow or increase light or photoperiod. But there you go.. if you change light all other plants will react. Diferent needs!

Will they react positively?
What measures should you take to increase light?

Increase also Co2 and nutrients.
Is it worth it? Compromise all others cause of this moss?

It´s up to you my friend.
This is my point of view based on my own experience.

Best regards.

+1 on the drop checker. At the surface it's telling you a different story as to whats happening down below. You can't be far off though, that carpet looks great.

Your flow seems to be going in various directions. The upper powerhead aiming across the top and the lower one aiming down low. The lily is going across the tank too but all giving different flow. When this hits the other side of the tank they will hit each other and work against each other. Also is that another input in the right back corner? It's considered best practice to run the flow in 1 direction so all flow devices are working together and not against each other.

I am loathed to try shrimp again. Amano just decided to climb out, cherry's were slowly picked off by Betta and neons. So not for that again as they are expensive!
Just a thought, but maybe ghost/glass shrimp would get on better in your tank? Not as pretty as cherries, but your betta might be less likely to find them.

How could CO2 be the main problem with hair algae? I've never ever seen this algae in my life in any of my tanks. I've always kept low tech non-co2 injected tanks. Whatever the reason is, it is not co2. My guess is that the grass is gathering a lot of debris, I.e. organic issue. Maybe try trumpet snails if shrimp can't survive the fish. They are quite happy eating anything that stays on the substrate. In one of my fishless tanks they come out for food like proper pets, each time I drop some pellets.

Just dose algaefix and kill the green algae. Then lots of water changes to reset the tank.

Back