• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green Machine

Murphy-18

Hi, i bought a Green Killing Machine uv sterilizer (24w version), it arrived this morning. I must say, it is pretty complicated and fiddly to try and get it in a stable location in the tank. Also the outlet of the powerhead/pump attatched is reallly weak, it is supposed to a powerhead, and im positive it is not meant to be that weak.

If anyone has experience with these things, it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out.

Murphy-18 said:
Hi, i bought a Green Killing Machine uv sterilizer (24w version), it arrived this morning. I must say, it is pretty complicated and fiddly to try and get it in a stable location in the tank. Also the outlet of the powerhead/pump attatched is reallly weak, it is supposed to a powerhead, and im positive it is not meant to be that weak.

If anyone has experience with these things, it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out.

Is it sold as being for ponds or for aquaria? Flow through a UV is critical - too fast and the UV won't kill whatever you're trying to kill (what are you trying to kill?). So I would imagine that the provided powerhead is the right size for the steriliser you have bought if it came with it.

Are you planning to run it all the time, or is it a quick fix for a problem, to be discontinued once it's sorted?

Mark

PS powerhead is a generic term for a (usually) small, submersible pump, usually with a sealed motor and a floating impellor attached to a magnetic shaft. The name doesn't mean it's 'powerful' (whatever 'powerful' means :D .)

vauxhallmark said:
Murphy-18 said:

Is it sold as being for ponds or for aquaria? Flow through a UV is critical - too fast and the UV won't kill whatever you're trying to kill (what are you trying to kill?). So I would imagine that the provided powerhead is the right size for the steriliser you have bought if it came with it.

Are you planning to run it all the time, or is it a quick fix for a problem, to be discontinued once it's sorted?

Mark

PS powerhead is a generic term for a (usually) small, submersible pump, usually with a sealed motor and a floating impellor attached to a magnetic shaft. The name doesn't mean it's 'powerful' (whatever 'powerful' means :D .)

Yes it is for aquarium. And yes i have just realised that the water must travel slow, in order too get zapped by the UV (silly me) I plan on disconnecting it when its done its job, i have a green water problem, and planaria. ALthough i would like to keep it in all the time, but its just doesnt look the best in the tank, it is about 15'' long.

Oh well, as long as it gets rid of my problem, then i am more than happy. I am just so stupid for not realizing that you need a slow water flow for it to work.

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Back