• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GREEN ON ROCK! NOT ALGAUE

chilled84

Ok, Hello again all ukaps. Im starting to dream up a new scape. And i want to have some nice rocks within the scape, wich is the easy part, But i rely want the rocks to hace green parts to them to look natural. Not alsue thou. I want moss stuck to them growing like you see out and about. Kinda like thouse little mounds off moss you see on roof tiles. Real natural looking.

How on earth would i pill this off?? Would HC grow on a rock surface?

:D

I've been trying to achieve a similar thing so it would be interesting to see other peoples suggestions. Very low moss would be spot on but I've yet to find an aquatic equivalent to that nice terrestrial moss like you get on bonsai. I saw a moss called 'green sock moss' on this site but it doesn't exist anywhere;
http://www.aquamoss.net/Green-Sock-Moss/Green-Sock-Moss.htm
Currently Im just using Java and trimming it right flat against the rock.

If You have the Patience, why not leave the Rocks outdoors in a Tub (Very Sunny Spot) and let it go green with age.

One of my Daphnia Barrels looks lovely now as the sides are covered in Nice short Moss/Algae.

if you want stones that look like they have moss gorwing on them, how about getting some stones and attaching some moss?

surely that is the simplest way to go? then you can trim, and re-shape to your hearts content.

Almost certainly, tropica do it but it isn't cheap. It's an exceptionally pretty plant though and I found it much more robust than the normal pelia. Mosses would be the smaller frond forming ones, fissidens fontanus springs to mind instantly, petite christmas moss I've seen through dennerle in shops but can't find info anywhere but that would also be suitable.

I should be moving into my new place on monday, I'll try and get a diffuser to you as soon as possible after that. Once you've got your co2 sussed plants like fissidens will really kick off. It's a patience thing really I suppose :)

This is what i want to achieve, Pinched this off google, Dont know whos it is, Hope its allowed :crazy:
hawaiimountainscape1copy5eg.jpg

That's a hawaiin native moss I'm sure. Fissidens will do that so will taiwan moss and mini pelia, it's all about trimming or more tearing, I found that my moss looked like that when I tore chunks off when using blunt scissors by mistake.

Back