• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres

Hi,

Bit of a random question. Did you have any issues with having the tank on the wooden sideboard, it looks like solid oak rather than laminated chipboard. Did you tend to get water marks/ damage to the wood. It looks lovely and thinking of doing this for my 45p which is currently sitting patiently waiting to be setup.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi !!! this is very nice journal !!!
please what is this plant ? thank's
18544541490_98f5367504_c_d.jpg

The new twin tank hasn’t started yet as I’m still working out the plumbing and equipment. Just pumping tap water to try balancing everything. Real PITA!

Did you have any issues with having the tank on the wooden sideboard,
Wooden sideboard did get a lot of water marks - definitely don’t put it on your cherished antiques!

please what is this plant ?
Hygrophila ‘Araguaia’. I think it works really nicely growing out of a carpet.

Its a mini marine tuba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all very clever. An overflow that starts all by itself. The output of the return pump crates a Venturi - sucks the air out of the siphon tuba.. You never have to worry about a broken siphon to your sump. The tuba comes apart so cleaning shouldn't be too difficult... Great fun to watch and very quiet compared to most overflows.

Mr Teapot a quick question for you. Just got back from IKEA and I saw two species of carnivorous plants slightly damaged for a fraction of the price. One looks like a sundew species the other as a pitcher plant. I am thinking of trying to grow them like you did. How did you planted them? In the pics seems like the Sundew is placed in a different container attached to the tank? Have yours survived so far?

My heliamphora was doing great up to the point I increased the temperature of the tank water (they like it cool). It didn't like having its feet in a warm bath. The North American pitchers ( most likely The one being sold by IKEA should do ok but they would have to be removed for the winter as they require a dormant period - the sundews would also do ok as they like it wet ( mine is doing really well). You'll need to experiment but could try hanging a container from the back or more interesting planting would be into any emerged growth with maybe some additional moss for it to root into.

Oh yes, they need very bright lighting!

Τhanks for the immediate response! I will get one or even both pots left and try to attach them in the decor the way you did.

Hi Mr. Teapot, firstly I must say that your journal is one of my top favorites here on Ukaps and it has been a great source of inspiration for me! I love especially your emersed planting and would love to try something similar on my 54L. A couple of weeks ago I did a rescape on my tank and added some redmoor wood which comes partly emersed above the waterline. Today I noticed that the whole emersed part of the wood is covered in mould.
Do you have any tips for a beginner how this could be avoided?

wood is covered in mould.
Hi, I wouldn’t worry too much about the fungus on the wood. Everything will eventually find its place, something will take advantage of the mould and something else will use the fungus eater for its advantage. Just give it a little time and keep the tank healthy and it'll probably disappear.

Thank you for the calming words Mr. Teapot, I still have a lot of patience to learn with my two aquariums :) Hopefully some day I will achieve something as beautiful as you have with this scape, but I still have a long road to go :)

All my time has been spent researching the salty side of things... so much to learn.

Only a couple of changes with the pond, removed the twig at the front as the growth was shading everything and pushed the coral moss down to create a little more swim space. Everything working on auto pilot and takes no effort at all apart from a quick water change once a week with a couple of squirts of green fertiliser.
21625768215_4f86d9be4e_c_d.jpg

Back