Green Water - Dusko's lazy solution to the problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Dusko, 21 Nov 2008.

1. Dusko

Dusko Member

IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg

I got a very bad algae bloom (Green Water) due to CO2 malfunctioning ( + 2 of my HOBs malfunctioning also). At first I wasn't sure what to do. I had very little free time and such Green Water case needed many water changes and adjustments.
    I decided to try something new :) Instead of everyday water changes and fuss I decided to introduce LOTS of floating plants, almost covering all the water surface. I got Salvinia natans floating plant. I disconnected the CO2.
    Since "green water algae" thrive in water with NH4 and strong lights, I planned to add floating plants to shade the tank (something like black-out) and to uptake the NH4 from the water column.
    I also started dosing Easy Life FFM (fluid filter medium) in USA aka Easy Neo. This fluid product has a very good CEC (cation exchange capacity) and is able to bind NH4 very fast. I dosed Easy Life FFM every second day (recommended is once a month).

This next photo was taken approx 10 days after I had introduced the floating plants and Easy Life. Amazing!! And I didn't do any water change at all !!
    IMG_2666.jpg
    Today this aquarium looks like this. I disconnected the CO2 and am running this tank as a Hi-light Low-tech covered with floating plants. The submersed plants seem not to mind these unusual conditions without CO2. I do dose Tropica+NPK 10ml every week. Instead of water change I only top up the evaporated water and re-dose with 10ml of Easy Life. Today I have no algae at all and plants which grow healthy.

IMG_2751.jpg

Regards, Dusko

2. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

What a great post, thanks for sharing that Dusko. The high light low tech combo is not something you see working successfully every day :)

3. Dusko

Dusko Member

Agreed :)
    This is a Hi-light Walstad method :D

Just to add;
    This tank has a 4cm layer of potting soil and is dosed 2 times a week with Tropica+

Note!!!
    During the GW I only disconnected the CO2 not the NPK/traces. I still dosed Tropica+ once a week.

4. Brenmuk

Brenmuk Member

Hi Dusko,
    What does your CO2 drop checker tell you, is the CO2 very low or only slightly lower than when you are using additional CO2?

5. Dusko

Dusko Member

My drop checker is blue now. No additional CO2 and no algae still. Overgrown at the moment, I have to trim the plants soon.

6. Ray

Ray Member

Fascinating Dusko - please can you give us details - tank size, flow and lighting strength? Thank you.