• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Greenish tint

UseHerName

Hi all,
Happy new year!
I was wondering if o can get some advice -
The back wall of my tank looks a bit greenish. I can see signs of Algea, apart from sometimes a bit in the corners of the tank, and then it’s more brownish than greenish.
I’m not sure where this is coming from and I don’t see anything obvious on the actual glass. I have included some photos for you to see. Needless to say, regular water changes etc are all being done and the parameters are all good. Livestock is doing well. Also, it’s only when I look from front to back, because when I look from the side, everything seems clear.
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 0186C6C8-3C99-4447-A4DD-7796696DDB35.jpeg
    0186C6C8-3C99-4447-A4DD-7796696DDB35.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 147
  • E63A4AB9-48AA-4E1D-8774-DCFA90BFED63.jpeg
    E63A4AB9-48AA-4E1D-8774-DCFA90BFED63.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 90
  • ABD4F8A9-0EDF-4F30-AAF9-165095776DCB.jpeg
    ABD4F8A9-0EDF-4F30-AAF9-165095776DCB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
Normally I would say phytoplankton (green water)... so I am just guessing here... I definitely see the greenish tint on the first two pictures, but not the 3rd which is taken through the side I believe... if its not a thin layer of algae on that back glass it could be the way the (green) reflections bounce off that back glass or something outside reflecting on the back of the tank. You can try temporarily to scoop aside the floating plants and see if that changes anything when looking through the front and try and clean up the inside of the glass with a sponge. My own tanks (densely planted) also have a tendency to have a greenish tinge - everything in there is green :) but also in part because of high iron contents in my glass.

Cheers,
Michael

Normally I would say phytoplankton (green water)... so I am just guessing here... I definitely see the greenish tint on the first two pictures, but not the 3rd which is taken through the side I believe... if its not a thin layer of algae on that back glass it could be the way the (green) reflections bounce off that back glass or something outside reflecting on the back of the tank. You can try temporarily to scoop aside the floating plants and see if that changes anything when looking through the front and try and clean up the inside of the glass with a sponge. My own tanks (densely planted) also have a tendency to have a greenish tinge - everything in there is green :) but also in part because of high iron contents in my glass.

Cheers,
Michael
Thank you for that. Yeah, I do notice that in different lighting it looks a bit different and I did think about the reflection, also because it’s kind of at the level of the plants, i.e where there is a gap between the planted plants and the floating plants the glass seems clear. It’s just, annoys me a bit that it looks like Algea when the tank is actually quite clean 😅

Shine a torch from the front and look through the side in a dark room, late at night, no aquarium light. If it's green water you will easily see it.
Cheers

Seems to me if you don’t see it thru the much longer side view but do see it front to back, then likely something on the back glass. Have you got a photo of the back glass thru the side of the tank ?

Back