• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

GreggZ Planted Rainbow Tank!

GreggZ

I am at the AGA Convention in Chicago and finally got to meet a couple of people I have been friends with for many years yet we never met in person. Vin Kutty, Joe Harvey, and a bunch of other wonderful hobbyists. What a pleasure to spend a few days talking planted tanks with people who love the hobby!
310147964_10221213111610884_6254442612511228435_n.jpg

Yugang

I am at the AGA Convention in Chicago and finally got to meet a couple of people I have been friends with for many years yet we never met in person. Vin Kutty, Joe Harvey, and a bunch of other wonderful hobbyists. What a pleasure to spend a few days talking planted tanks with people who love the hobby!View attachment 195133
I know most, but who's that handsome guy in the middle?

Last edited:

GreggZ

It’s always fun to spend a weekend talking aquariums with those that share your interests.
Agreed. The weekend exceeded my expectations and it seemed like it flew by far too fast. A great group of people and some of the brightest planted tank minds I know were there. If anyone has access to an event like this I strongly recommend making the effort to attend. It was well worth it for me.

Yugang

the brightest planted tank minds I know
What are the topics where these brightest minds are still experimenting and making progress? Or is the meeting more like an information sharing to try and all get to the same high level?

MichaelJ

Agreed. The weekend exceeded my expectations and it seemed like it flew by far too fast. A great group of people and some of the brightest planted tank minds I know were there. If anyone has access to an event like this I strongly recommend making the effort to attend. It was well worth it for me.
Hi @GreggZ Sounds like a great meetup with lots to learn. Next time something like this comes up in the upper midwest please let the forum know :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

GreggZ

What are the topics where these brightest minds are still experimenting and making progress? Or is the meeting more like an information sharing to try and all get to the same high level?
It's a little bit of everything. Folks talking about what works for them, what doesn't work, discussing new plants in the hobby, horticulture methods, maintenance methods, lighting methods, CO2 methods, aquascaping methods, photography methods, fertilization, equipment set ups, water change set ups, etc. etc. etc. The level of detail in these discussions surpasses what you can do with the written word.

But mostly it's a chance to meet a bunch of like minded people in person. Let's face it, outside of other nuts like us, most people aren't very interested in our nonsense. Spending a weekend with a bunch of people who are very enthusiastic about the hobby is a rare treat. And personally for me I got to spend a lot of time with two of my best friends in the hobby, Vin Kutty and Joe Harvey. Picking their brains over the weekend was a true pleasure!

Another bonus is that Gary Lange was a featured speaker so I got to spend a good deal of time talking Rainbows with him too!

Ed Wiser

I have gone to many MACNA’s the marine version of the AGA meeting. You get to talk to people who are all in to the hobby. An do not roll their eyes when you spend all day talking about aquariums. Wish I could have come this year. But my wife’s health limits my travel now days.

MichaelJ

Hi @Ed Wiser. Yes, that social aspect, as in meeting likeminded people in real-life, can really be a challenge in this hobby. Around here where I live in Minnesota there is not much of an organized aquarium community and the few people I know personally in this hobby are either into near plant-less tanks (big cichlids) or reef tanks. We do have a couple of pretty good serious aquarium stores around in the outskirts of Minneapolis though that always seems busy and I did mention to one of the owners that he should put in a bar so people can hang out for an adult beverage and talk hobby :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited: