• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GreggZ Planted Rainbow Tank!

Planted tank people are the best! A friend of mine in the hobby sent me this yesterday...........
20220323_190012.jpg

Oh, I just noticed; you raised GH again! I'm wondering if you have found a "sweet spot" yet, or a ratio/dGH that stands out as "best range"?

Oh, I just noticed; you raised GH again! I'm wondering if you have found a "sweet spot" yet, or a ratio/dGH that stands out as "best range"?
I am always amazed at what people notice. I did raise dGH a bit. Not trying to fix anything. I was thinking of adding some species that are known to prefer a bit more dGH. But before I do that, I like to change the parameter for about a month and observe. So far no real difference between 4 and 6 and didn't expect there to be. If that keeps going smoothly then it's on to about 8 dGH for a while.

In general I have found a range of Ca:Mg at 3:1 to 2:1 works well. I put it in the category of you want to have enough but not too much.

But that isn't what has been interesting. It has do with my 10 days without CO2. Tank did far better than expected and it has me intrigued. Going to do some of my usual testing of the limits coming up. More to follow.

But that isn't what has been interesting. It has do with my 10 days without CO2. Tank did far better than expected and it has me intrigued. Going to do some of my usual testing of the limits coming up. More to follow.
For you to start seeing changes you would probably need to wait fairly longer. I guess plants are currently tapping on reserves and readjusting and since they are probably well established the don't show signs of problems early on.

Keep us posted on how that experiment goes.

For you to start seeing changes you would probably need to wait fairly longer. I guess plants are currently tapping on reserves and readjusting and since they are probably well established the don't show signs of problems early on.

Keep us posted on how that experiment goes.
Yep agreed. They were well fed and established before the CO2 went out. And I am not going to be going with low or no CO2. It's more about light. When the CO2 went down I lowered the light quite a bit and plants did surprisingly well. And all in all kept pretty good color except for Pantanal.

As you may know I've been testing the limits of the upper end of lighting for quite a while running 200+ PAR. Now I am going to test the lower end of the lighting spectrum and see how little I can get away with and still have good color. Why? Heck I don't know I'd just like to know happens.

Also have some observations about tracking pH at regular intervals with no CO2 injection. Quite interesting just need to put my thoughts together.

It's more about light. When the CO2 went down I lowered the light quite a bit and plants did surprisingly well.
I was actually wondering exactly that. Makes even more sense now why your plants are doing well.

And all in all kept pretty good color except for Pantanal.
Yeah that one is really the moody one of the class. Any slight changes she immediately starts whining and spitting her venom. She will most certainly come back to glory but will whine again temporarily if you dare increase light and CO2 in one go. This shows you how some plants can be very sensitive to environmental changes.

That is a very good question. I have the entire thread saved. Not sure on the legalities of posting it elsewhere. Just haven't got that far yet.
Hey dude. Sorry to hear what happened. I'm not sure what the story is, but I'd be willing to bet I fell victim to something similar by the same moderator. I traverse many of the aquatic sites, including this one. I've learned so much from users like yourself as well as ceg here. I'll DM you how to access the cached version of the page.

Glad this was not enough to deter you from interacting with the community. That would have been a great loss.

Edit: Actually I may be too new to DM. I do not mean to break any rules so please delete this if it is. I am certainly not looking to promote another site.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....1.1020497/page-197+&cd=16&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Just change the page number in the URL. You can view them that way.

Hey dude. Sorry to hear what happened. I'm not sure what the story is, but I'd be willing to bet I fell victim to something similar by the same moderator. I traverse many of the aquatic sites, including this one. I've learned so much from users like yourself as well as ceg here. I'll DM you how to access the cached version of the page.

Glad this was not enough to deter you from interacting with the community. That would have been a great loss.

Edit: Actually I may be too new to DM. I do not mean to break any rules so please delete this if it is. I am certainly not looking to promote another site.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....1.1020497/page-197+&cd=16&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Just change the page number in the URL. You can view them that way.
First of all thanks for the kind words. It's been interesting as I have been contacted by a bunch of people were following my journal. When you're writing it you never really know who is paying attention other than the regulars.

The basic thing going on there is that if you disagree with the advice of a moderator that's grounds for a suspension. I wouldn't have it and that was that.

And thanks so much this link looks like it should be very useful. The only thing is that I change the page number in the URL but the same page keeps showing up.

Do I know you from TPT? I've met a few now that I had conversations with over there and have different usernames here.

First of all thanks for the kind words. It's been interesting as I have been contacted by a bunch of people were following my journal. When you're writing it you never really know who is paying attention other than the regulars.

The basic thing going on there is that if you disagree with the advice of a moderator that's grounds for a suspension. I wouldn't have it and that was that.

And thanks so much this link looks like it should be very useful. The only thing is that I change the page number in the URL but the same page keeps showing up.

Do I know you from TPT? I've met a few now that I had conversations with over there and have different usernames here.

Nope. Just another enthusiast you've motivated. Yeah, I see what you mean. Google has to have cached the page. This - Internet Archive: Wayback Machine might also be of use. I'm mostly a lurker just checkin out what people are doing and trying to find my own success.

Nope. Just another enthusiast you've motivated.
I can't tell you how much that means to me and glad to hear my years of drivel helped in some way.

I'll fool around with the wayback machine and see what I can come up with. I do have the entire thread saved but it wouldn't be easy to share.

Your thread and a couple of associated threads were the only reason I visited TPT @GreggZ 😊
I think you would be surprised how many people were following from "the shadows" without posting
Thanks I appreciate that. Let me guess the associated threads were my friends Burr740 and Hendy8888? If so yep I follow them closely too!! Much to be learned from those two guys.

mmmm exciting times. try and drag over master plant keeper vin kutty aswell! Ukaps is making big boy moves:cool:

mmmm exciting times. try and drag over master plant keeper vin kutty aswell! Ukaps is making big boy moves:cool:
LOL yeah Vin and for that matter Tom Barr and Xiaozhuang don't post much in the forums anymore. That being said they are still active in the hobby and I am in contact with them on a regular basis. Maybe I can talk them into making a guest appearance in this new thread sometime!!!:D:D

Back