• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grey foam for between tank and cabinet

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
done a search and not found anything so does anyone know where to get this from to fit a 90x45cm tank either online or in a shop?

Id like it to be a dark grey so it matches the tank and ive seen the clearseel mats in a LFS but they were all too small.

by the way, do people still use these?

cheers clark. ive checked but the max clearseal do is 15" and id need 17" for the 45cm depth. Anybody know if I used two will I see the join or does it get fully squashed?

Clearseal website said:
Available in the following sizes
18x12"
24x12"
24x15"
30x12"
36x12"
36x15"

Try Hobbycraft, Stu. I have a huge roll of cheap foam from there, but it is blue. I suspect they don`t do grey, otherwise I am sure I would have got that colour.

Dave.

i got my old one from AE but its the same stuff as a camping roll mat, you can get it at alot of hardware places. Mine under my 240L got so squashed i am considering using a double layer next time.

Hi stu I got mine from AE earlier this year,it's a JBL mat and it is 60x45 don't know if there is more choice size wise,oh and it's grey too,
regards john.

Hi Planters
This maybe to late but i use carpet underlay,this is much better just cut to fit.
Take a trip to the local carpet shop ask for any off-cut underlay.
Or you may have some lying around in the loft usually.
hoggie

Can you not just use the stuff that goes under laminate flooring? Its dirt cheap to!

I'm using a 5mm sheet of expanded polystyrene. It's a bit smaller than the tank all-round, so the tank seems to 'hover' over the cabinet, which looks good. But I don't yet know if it'll squash right down when the water goes in, as I've STILL not filled it up!

From what I've been reading people surgest a slight over hang not underhang to make sure the sides arn't suspended and the weight supported.

1uke said:
From what I've been reading people surgest a slight over hang not underhang to make sure the sides arn't suspended and the weight supported.
That's a bit worrying.

Sorry for the hijack, but how important is a mat, anyway? If it's such a vital bit of kit I'm surprised there aren't more online retailers selling them.

thanks for all the ideas everyone. ive not had no luck so far but my tank has been delayed again so no rush it seems. AE have been out of stock on the aquapads for a while event though theyve ordered them so it looks like JBL arent supplying at the moment. B&Q have some nice grey wooden floor underlay but the smallest pack is £20.

Ive got some white floor underlay foam but its the brightest white ever so thats a no go! I might end up getting a couple of clearseal black matts and taping them together

paul.in.kendal said:
1uke said:
That's a bit worrying.

Sorry for the hijack, but how important is a mat, anyway? If it's such a vital bit of kit I'm surprised there aren't more online retailers selling them.
sorry paul, didnt see your post before i psoted mine.

Aquariums ltd said that pilkingtons suggest a min of 6mm foam/poly under the tank to preserve the warranty on the glass hence me wanting to put a matt there when I get the right tank. I dont think the 6mm is set in stone with AQ ltd but best to check if you need to.

stuworrall said:
sorry paul, didnt see your post before i psoted mine.

Aquariums ltd said that pilkingtons suggest a min of 6mm foam/poly under the tank to preserve the warranty on the glass hence me wanting to put a matt there when I get the right tank. I dont think the 6mm is set in stone with AQ ltd but best to check if you need to.
[Groan}This could mean I've got to pick up a hefty (100x45x55) tank, complete with hefty hardscape, to try and get a mat perfectly centred beneath it, then place the tank on the cabinet, again perfectly centred. All without disturbing the hardscape - any tips?

Back