• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grey foam for between tank and cabinet

1uke said:
From what I've been reading people surgest a slight over hang not underhang to make sure the sides arn't suspended and the weight supported.

overhang is just as bad (if not worse) because then all the weight is shifted onto the joints of the glass :?

try your local arts & crafts for neoprene.

What about the tanks which have plastic or metal frame under, is that necessary to put something under? For ex. Juwel manual sad do not put anything under the tank.

aaronnorth said:
1uke said:
From what I've been reading people surgest a slight over hang not underhang to make sure the sides arn't suspended and the weight supported.

overhang is just as bad (if not worse) because then all the weight is shifted onto the joints of the glass :?

I was saying overhang of the foam to make sure none of the sides were suspeneded. Not overhang of the glass as like you say will stress the joints.

When Aquariums Ltd delivered my five-footer made with 10mm glass, the tank overhung the foam pad by about 5mm in some places, and they didn't seem concerned. If it increases the chance of dumping 400 litres on the floor and they didn't mention it, I'll be grouchy.

That said, I'm not sure there's anything to worry about.

I've always understood that the foam/polystyrene underlay is to even out the surface and prevent pressure points between the cabinet and glass, not to actively support the glass. If the glass base is going to bow/twist and stress the joints, I'm not sure a layer of compressible foam or polystyrene will do much to prevent that. On the flip side, if the surface is level and the glass base is as thick as it should be, I don't think a small overhang would add an appreciable level of stress to it.

Obviously it's a much smaller tank than mine or Paul's, but you only need look at something like the Fluval Edge, with its very thin glass, to see that an overhang should be safe provided the glass is thick enough to take the strain.

Now I'll wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along and tell me I'm completely wrong. :lol:

1uke said:
aaronnorth said:
1uke said:

I was saying overhang of the foam to make sure none of the sides were suspeneded. Not overhang of the glass as like you say will stress the joints.

fair enough :thumbup:

No problem Paul. Hope this solved the problem for others as well :)
Regards

Back