• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Group meetings/events

plantbrain

Expert
I know several of you have gotten together and done some projects and scapes etc. Have you considered putting on a larger event with say Claus from Tropica coming to speak etc?

Sell the plants, raise the $.
You will find it to be pretty fun.

Regards,
Tom Barr

i think the closest were getting is the ada day at the green machine. i notice on asian forums that allot of there members are allways meeting up. looks like they have a blast too

I think it's a good idea - the Portuguese ones looked brilliant! I think most of us would pay an 'entrance fee' to make it possible. And I bet we could amass a fair bit of free stuff between the members and the sponsors... :D

Hi Tom....

Yes, in short. But unfortunately, the Founders and Admin have to juggle UKaps life with their own lives. Its something we would love to do more of. Like mark said, the ADA day is the latest gathering we will have at The Green Machine. We had a pure UKaps visit there earlier this year. We had a nice presentation from Andrew Mac who was highly rated in this years ADA world contest. We will no doubt endeavor for more UKaps meets and events, but its a case of work.life.ukaps balance.

Maybe we should encourage the members to do their own meets more than we do.

Cheers.

Hi Tom

Thanks for the idea.

I'm hoping to organise a trip to Tropica HQ in Denmark at some point next year, so watch this space. I never considered getting one of the Tropica guys over here. I know Troels would likely be up for it.

Some UKAPS members nearly managed to get to the Amazon too, but the logistics proved impossible at that time.

The ADA visit will be cool @ The Green Machine.

Tom, if you're ever this side of the pond, you're welcome to pop over and give a talk.... My place is pretty big and my wife thinks highly of you (remember the 'legal advice'?)

Cheers.

I'm as good as certain I saw a german trip to the amazon who were looking for people from britain! It was either JBL or Dennerle.

Garuf said:
I'm as good as certain I saw a german trip to the amazon who were looking for people from britain! It was either JBL or Dennerle.
It was JBL mate, i think it's set for late next year, i'll be there for sure this time.

I really want to go, apparently I can use it as a study and the uni will fund half so I'm going to look into doing that.

I honestly have little clue about what all you folks have going there, constraints and the trade offs, however, I have planted "the seed" :twisted:

Kick the idea around, try the local group formation as well and use this as an umbrella group for the forum.
The goal is to reduce the work load, to attract new folks with new skills and to make a good base for the hobby in the UK.

More folks= more tanks= more plants/species = more chance to get new products and imports etc.
The folks in the USA are very cheap.

It's a religion for some :D

Regards,
Tom Barr

Would be nice to have some local meets in London ;)
Even though my tanks are nothing special to show off, I would be happy to host some people around to have a look and even nick some mosses lol and take a few cherries with them ;)
Food will be provided and drinks off course :p

plantbrain said:
I honestly have little clue about what all you folks have going there, constraints and the trade offs, however, I have planted "the seed" :twisted:

I hear you are good at growing things Tom! :lol: So I expect this particular seed will do well over time ;)

plantbrain said:
Kick the idea around, try the local group formation as well and use this as an umbrella group for the forum.

I would attend a London or Kent meetup. So if you do host one LD I wil be there.

(....which reminds me I may be going to fof in which case I can give you a lift - I'll decide sometime during the week for definite)

a1Matt said:
I would attend a London or Kent meetup. So if you do host one LD I wil be there.
(....which reminds me I may be going to fof in which case I can give you a lift - I'll decide sometime during the week for definite)
I would mind having a few people around, talks some tanks, have a look at my mediocer tanks and share some plants.
If we had enough of tanks/plants we can always play some Wii lol or watch some Live (15:00 kick-off) Premiership games haha
Matt if you go down to FOF let me know I will sure come down with you then, help you out with the costs. Cheers

I've been to quite a few club events over the years.

The catfish society do a good one where they hire a hotel in Wigan for the weekend.

You do the same, and get the speakers to come from you. If it is a distance away, stay at the hotel for the night, or even the weekend, and spend the evenings talking plants and drinking beer.

You could get Tropica, Dennerle, JBl, Aquascaping experts, ADA?

Its all do-able?

Jeremy said:
I've been to quite a few club events over the years.

The catfish society do a good one where they hire a hotel in Wigan for the weekend.

You do the same, and get the speakers to come from you. If it is a distance away, stay at the hotel for the night, or even the weekend, and spend the evenings talking plants and drinking beer.

You could get Tropica, Dennerle, JBl, Aquascaping experts, ADA?

Its all do-able?

If we're lucky we could even get that guy from PFK, Jeremy Gay... :D

Back