• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Group shipping buy for Manzanita driftwood from Tom Barr

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi Tom,
do you know who you will use for shipping.usps,dhl etc,and maybe guess a weight for a box,say 1.5 metre's,just a rough guess so we calculate shipping. :)
thanks
neil

can i have in on this depending on the shipping cost.

tom can i suggest making a list on this thread of all the people who want some manzi. then get back to us once you have colected it, weighed it up for shipping then give us the price we pay. then the cost gets divided by the number of people on the list, and we pay you indivudaly via paypal or however you like?

Superman said:
I don't mind sorting it being sent to me then dividing it all up amongst people.
-nice idea, would you then post it on to us if we then pay your for the posting?

EDIT: Tom, could you pick me out a centrepeice for a 100cm tank plese.

nelson said:
hi Tom,
do you know who you will use for shipping.usps,dhl etc,and maybe guess a weight for a box,say 1.5 metre's,just a rough guess so we calculate shipping. :)
thanks
neil

I can use whichever you folks prefer.
Cheaper etc. I think USPS will be cheaper, but the size restriction might be a problem.

I just redid my 120 Gal which turned out pretty nice considering the fish where still in it.
So I have a good idea of the sizes and uses you folks will need. Much easier to collect that vs the 8ft x 3 ft tanks. You have to collect the wood yourself because they simply do not sell monster pieces.This stuff, after prepping it, is much like ADA's "Old black wood", not as dark, but perhaps a bit more twist and character.

I think the USPS has a size restriction on the parcel shipping sizes.
DHL can ship whatever they can carry, up to about 30 kg, which is a lot of wood.
I think UPS as well, but they can be more $.
Since this is your $$$, check into it and see who has the best deal/method.
The wood is free.

Regards,
Tom Barr

glenn said:
tom can i suggest making a list on this thread of all the people who want some manzi. then get back to us once you have colected it, weighed it up for shipping then give us the price we pay. then the cost gets divided by the number of people on the list, and we pay you indivudaly via paypal or however you like?

I think the whole plan may have people backing out if we are just dividing the costs. Better to do it proportionally to how much each person wants but that may mean 1 person has to make the initial outlay :wideyed:

I'm interested in the most gnarly, most twisted and most time worn. I'm not sure on the group shipping idea though, it'll mean who ever gets there first gets all the best stuff.

SuperColey1 said:
I think the whole plan may have people backing out if we are just dividing the costs. Better to do it proportionally to how much each person wants but that may mean 1 person has to make the initial outlay :wideyed:

yeah i though of that arfter i posted it...this would mean some one who wants a bit for a nanno would be paying fore someons wood to go in a 180L also :lol: wouldent you have to weigh the peices indivdualy then for this to work?

Garuf said:
I'm interested in the most gnarly, most twisted and most time worn. I'm not sure on the group shipping idea though, it'll mean who ever gets there first gets all the best stuff.
i dont think its who gets there 1st...tom will know who wants what and i would think would label the wood with a name?

Count me in if someone can organise it.

I'd be happy to pay P&P and more, but we need to know where we stand unfortunately or they'll be tears before bedtime.

nice thought Glen, I was thinking the same but asking a bit much from Tom as he's helping much.

I'd take the task on myself but haven't got the time spare to re-distribute as I only want a very small amout personally so the rest would be of no use to me. Allocation (IMO) is the problem, not $$$s.

Where is our leader? Step forward now and give us an answer!

superman said he wouldent mind receiving the job jot then redistributing it from there the people who paid for it. he would need paypall'ing money for p&p though of he did this.

I'm happy with Superman to deal with this.

I am posting to express my interest in this as well.

Am happy to get some wood via superman and pay him p+p costs (or anyone else that offers) or I am happy to arrange and take shipment for the London area and hold a UKAPS Manzanita day at my house (SE9, Bromley Kent\London borders) where all interested parties would collect the wood then. Whilst happy to offer to take shipment I would not be interested in posting wood on again. Would have the advantage that people can get more choice over the wood they want then.

I don't want to step on Clarks toes, more to try to lessen the burden on him and maybe also kick start some London based meet ups ;)

Replies to let me know what people think of this idea would be appreciated.

EDIT - forgot to say THANKS TOM! You are a nice guy :D

a1Matt said:
I don't want to step on Clarks toes, more to try to lessen the burden on him and maybe also kick start some London based meet ups ;)
I am keen on a London meet up too, I can host something at my place aswell, not big but should be enough for a London meet. I can also take delivery for some wood at work if necessary. ;)

a1Matt said:
Weee... A London UKaps meet. I might be interested, even though I'll be moving in the summer. Always good to have some scaping materials :D

nelson said:
hi,
it's all about weight.try here http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mod ... &CID=10150 .max box size ................. Maximum length: 46 inches
Maximum width: 35 inches
Maximum height: 46 inches
dhl and ups want from and to zip code's to calculate cost.
neil

Thanks Neil. I was thinking along the same lines...

Tom - can you supply a zip code? Does not have to be precise, within the nearest state would probably be good enough for us to start comparing carriers and thresh out some rough costs.

If you have any idea of the weight that a package of wood of the above dimensions would come to that would be helpful as well. (not that we would all be getting that much each, but it is as good a starting point as any)

You're probably looking at a few hundred to several hundred £ for a pallet box/crate even by sea!!!

AC

SuperColey1 said:
You're probably looking at a few hundred to several hundred £ for a pallet box/crate even by sea!!!

AC

I don't mind putting £100 or therabouts upfront and then recouping it at point of re-distributing it.
That USPS calculator quotes a 50lbs package for 10 day delivery at $165.78 which I would be happy with.

Will wait to see if Tom can come back with any indication of location and weight, then will look around at more options.

hi,
the max box size was for usps only.could go bigger with dhl,ups etc.
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back