• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Group shipping buy for Manzanita driftwood from Tom Barr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Neil, gotcha :) I just figured it would be a good starting point. I do not really have a concept of how much Manzanita weighs\space it occupies. I think Tom will be able to provide some rough figures off the top of his head, so I am not worrying about it for now.

I like the fact that Tom says he will densely pack it with only the wood and no packing materials. That puts my mind at ease that the amount of wood we will get (however much that may be!) will warrant the shipping costs.

a1Matt said:
I like the fact that Tom says he will densely pack it with only the wood and no packing materials. That puts my mind at ease that the amount of wood we will get (however much that may be!) will warrant the shipping costs.
yes, we will definatly get our moneys worth for toms efforts, i thinks thats why so many people are intrested.
a1Matt said:
That USPS calculator quotes a 50lbs package for 10 day delivery at $165.78 which I would be happy with.
thats a excelent price for 50lb of wood. thanks for the info :)

30lb box, plenty for 2-3 tanks of normal size will run 70$ US Dollars.

You would get it fairly fast.

2-3 boxes shipped to various spots should work.
30lb of a Manzy is a fair amount.

I'll find some decent stuff since it is costing $$$ to ship.
Wanna make it worth while for you all.

My Zip is 95817, Sacramento, CA

I'll keep the longest piece to about 46".
I just ran by a lot yesterday on my "mountain" run.
Cannot collect there, but the view is awesome.
Flowers are blooming, the grass is green(last only 12 weeks or so, then all turns brown).

Since these are smaller sizes, I can nab plenty, those larger tree display pieces are harder to find.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give the email and paypal info for the people receiving the wood.
I'll ship first, then if the cost is reasonable etc, go for it.
Then send an email to you folks and then you can pay actual shipping via paypal or however works best for you.

I'll take a few pics prior to shipment to let you know what you are getting also.

Each set will have a few pics.

Regards,
Tom Barr

For cost per piece, simply take the total weight, and then divide the ship cost.

Then chip in per kg of wood, say 165$ for 50lbs= 3.30 a pound.
Typical prices here:

4.99, ADA old black wood is 8.99$ per pound, so 50lbs = 450$!

Look around for sea transport pricing/slower methods, cheaper cost.
You still get a lot for weight with Manzy, a better return than most wood types.

Regards,
Tom Barr

So, shall we start a list of who definately wants some and how many bits, what size/shape etc.

Thomas McMillan: (not sure how many) branchy bits, 20-40cm.

cool stuff count me in

Tonser: lots of bits up to around 70cm (happy to help with shipping if needed).
Steve Smith: tiny to medium 5 - 50cm :)
sam clowsley: 15-30cm straighter pieces :D (about 12-15 if possible)

I think folks will wanna pick and chose all together. It's hard as many will eye certain pieces, and some will no longer be friends afterward :twisted:

Fights may ensue.

But honestly, you need to put the batches into the best groups for the sizes you have for the tanks.
A saw to quickly zip off pieces to the right size will help.
Slate bottoms(they sell tiles of slate 25cm squre or 30cm sq etc), can be used and ceramic drill bit is the best for making holes for screws if you want to make a rossette root pinwheel effect that will not move.

You can cut the pieces at angles to get all sorts of effects.
I'll find some hollowed logs or pieces with nooks and crannies for plecos and other fish concerns.

So I'd suggest you all get together once the wood comes in, then make groups of the wood and a few spare bits based on everyone's opinion in the group, then divy it up based on who has what as far as the tank.

The goal is to get the best match for the tank size.
You can trim the wood down from there.

The sizes you folks are after are easy to find.
The larger cool one are tougher, but even for a 120 Cm tank, no issue.
I'll be after character more than anything.

A wire brush and a 30-50 Gallon trash can to soak will be useful. Soak first for 1-2 days, then take out and let dry a bit(1-2 hours), then brush off the grey, lichen etc, any dirt, spray down good, then soak some more. Repeat maybe 1-2x. Get the wood clean. Any really soft or whitish air wood/dry rot, cut out with a knife.
It has no bad "bacteria or parasites".

You can easily drill into it also to make caves, or holes for fish, plecos, etc, do this only where aesthetically pleasing and refrain otherwise, or place holes over of site from main view.

Wood is a really nice medium to work with, much easier to modify than rock and lots lighter, easier to get a 3D shape to your layout.

Rock is good for placement of wood, stabilizing it etc, and for open layouts for those damn fish that always hide.

Regards,
Tom Barr

me too please...

Glenn Eldridge: 1 big peice up to 70cm (a centre peice for a 100cm aquarium basicaly)-somthing with character :D

hi,

Glenn Eldridge: 1 big peice up to 70cm (a centre peice for a 100cm aquarium basicaly)-somthing with character
nelson:40-70cm bits + some smaller bits.pretty floral branch would be nice :)

Glenn Eldridge: 1 big peice up to 70cm (a centre peice for a 100cm aquarium basicaly)-somthing with character
Supercoley1 : Lots of smaller pieces 10cm - 30cm. As many as I can get for £25 total :)

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Thomas McMillan: (not sure how many - about 5/6 depending on price etc) branchy bits, 20-40cm.
Supercoley1 : Lots of smaller pieces 10cm - 30cm. As many as I can get for £25 total :)

AC

So a mix, mostly smaller pieces, some straighter, some gnarled, I'll find a couple of centerpieces.
I'll look for some nice gnarled smaller pieces also.

These are generally all from the same place, I'll try another place also that has more of the smaller stuff that's straighter.

This is the typical region and locations some of the nicer stuff comes from:

this is about 30-40cm tall

resizedmanzytree1.jpg

This little tree is about 25cm tall

manzytreereszied2.jpg

You can see how tough they have it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thomas McMillan said:
SuperColey1 said:
Thomas McMillan: (not sure how many - about 5/6 depending on price etc) branchy bits, 20-40cm.

AC

3-4lbs
10lbs say
3lbs
5-9lbs
8lbs
5-6lbs
10lbs

Probably at about 50-70lbs here with extras.
If you do 2 boxes, then you can add about 2x this amount.

Honestly..........it'll be worth it because you can ebay the extras, add to slate etc, sell them for $$, or to help provide funding for the club, events, food, booze, Tropica products/plants, etc.

Then you cherry pick and no fighting, or much less over who gets what piece.
Then you also recoup some of the ship cost. Or keep it for another tank not yet in the place yet:)
I'll find some decent boxes about the max limits for the weight, size restriction for USPS.

Regards,
Tom Barr

johnny70:small-medium 10-50cm, branchy and straight bits (would need mine shipped to me, doubt I can get to the meets)

Cheers,

johnny70:small-medium 10-50cm, branchy and straight bits (would need mine shipped to me, doubt I can get to the meets)
a1matt: a piece for a 3 foot tank, one that fills the tank. and then another one for the same size tank again. A couple of nano size centrepieces. Then a handful of branchy bits as well. I like gnarly\twisted wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back