• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing moss on pond liner?

What you could do is take a coarse sandpaper and sand the exposed liner, obviously without damaging it, just rough it up a bit. Than take a tube TEC7 polymer kit and a rubber glove. TEC7 does addhere beter to PE liner than silicone does and the advantage is, it is completely non toxic and even cures under water.

Anyway smear the kit over the exposed liner with you fingers after that threw some dirt, sand peat and leaf litter or fine gravel over and in the kit, just make sure it is dry what you throw in. Let the kit cure for 24 hours and gently brush off the excess dirt with a soft brush.

I creates a rough film of substrate layer on the liner for mosses to attach. :)

If it is cheaper i dunno, i actualy have no idea how much surface you can cover with 1 tube of kit.. I oly did that in small projects, like little waterfalls etc.

And note PE is nasty stuff it is inert but also very hard to get anything t stick to it. So even this wont be long term permanent at some point maybe 2 or 3 seasons you might see patches letting lose again you need to fix and or redo. In your case i would start with a small patch and see how it works out and holds.

Still not a guarantee mosses will grow to it, Growing mosses is as easy as it is difficult.. I see it come and go, grow and die all year round. Moss likes climate to be constant and it can die as fast as it can grow if climate changes uncontroled through out the year. That's why there are no moss nurseries growing mosses for the trade.. Moss is something you have to take for granted.

For using cloth than maybe coconut fibre would be longer lasting than hessian..
I built a raised bed with wildlife pond for a charity some time ago and what we did was use horticulrtural capilliary matting to cover the exposed liner around the edges. It wicks very well so remains moist and grows moss but the problem then becomes that water evaporates from the pond much faster and you constantly have to top it up. Helxine soleirolli is a great groundcover plants to grow around the edges for covering the liner instead.

Back