• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GSA Algae won't seem to go away

Also the Kh ph test shows good amount of co2 (particularly with my low light).
Major alarm bells. The KH/pH test can't be relied upon when testing aquarium water. Easiest is to get a drop checker (that's what I use). Others go with a pH pen for spot measurements looking for a 1 unit pH drop.

Major alarm bells. The KH/pH test can't be relied upon when testing aquarium water. Easiest is to get a drop checker (that's what I use). Others go with a pH pen for spot measurements looking for a 1 unit pH drop.
I have a drop checker as well and it shows lime green by end of day.

I don't see much of an algae issue in that tank. I mean you cannot expect a tank to be 100% free of algae that's just not possible. Your tank looks just fine in my opinion.

As for the PH/KH chart, that chart is theoretically pretty accurate for degassed water as long as there is no other contributors to PH other than carbonates and that's the issue in our tanks because we add soil, woods, ferts etc etc which buffer the water. So you end up with a lower PH before you even start adding CO2.

No CO2 testing method is perfect. DC or PH drop both have their downside. I prefer the PH drop test for multiple reasons specially because you don't have to wait several hours to have and idea where you CO2 is at. Pick the one that suits you most.

I don't see much of an algae issue in that tank. I mean you cannot expect a tank to be 100% free of algae that's just not possible. Your tank looks just fine in my opinion.

As for the PH/KH chart, that chart is theoretically pretty accurate for degassed water as long as there is no other contributors to PH other than carbonates and that's the issue in our tanks because we add soil, woods, ferts etc etc which buffer the water. So you end up with a lower PH before you even start adding CO2.

No CO2 testing method is perfect. DC or PH drop both have their downside. I prefer the PH drop test for multiple reasons specially because you don't have to wait several hours to have and idea where you CO2 is at. Pick the one that suits you most.
Definitely not expecting a 100% algae free tank. I don't mind algae on rocks honestly... it's the GSA on the leaves that's annoying as it makes most of my leaves darker than the rest. I think the algae issue is much worse than what the photos show due to lighting. Basically roughly 70% of my leaves are like the fourth photo where there's clearly dark GSA growing. Even looking at the Monte Carlo photo, you can see many of the older leaves been darker (those have GSA). Just trying to get a good control of the situation before it gets worse.

*edit for grammar

Back