• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GSA on all the plants... Help!!!!

Karan Jailwal

Seedling
Hello everyone,
In recent few weeks i m able to see that all my plants are getting covered with GSA, and also there is a stunt growth of all the plants. My Ferns are not having any new growth. Also the lower portion of rotala is getting covered with GSA. Had also tested the Phosphate level and it was showing me between 0.25 to 0.5mg/L. My fertilizer regime is ADA Green Brighty series. Pressurised CO2 system with 2 bubbles per sec.
I have also attached some photos for reference. Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• F8339F46-3A43-49E3-9CA6-04F0E0807DED.jpeg
    F8339F46-3A43-49E3-9CA6-04F0E0807DED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 338
  • 2BFBA27B-F1A0-4445-A78B-1E3B31EC0D1B.jpeg
    2BFBA27B-F1A0-4445-A78B-1E3B31EC0D1B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 240
I have just ordered Seachem phosphorus as ADA Brighty Green Series does not have andy traces of phosphorus in its fertilizer.

Below are the details , And please let me know if something needs to be changed. Also let me know what should be the dose process for phosphorus.

1. Size of tank. - 2ftx1ftx1.5ft
2. Filtration. - Fluval 207
3. Lighting and duration. - Chihiros RGB60 and 8hours duration.
4. Substrate. Ada Amazonia and power sand.
5. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing. - Pressurised CO2 with 2 bubbles per sec
6. Fertilisers used + Ratios. - ADA brighty green 2ML each
7. Water change regime. - Weekly 50 percent change
8. Plant list. - Monte carlo Carpet, hygrophila pinnatifida, rotala macrandra, rotala , hygrophila SP. Red
9. Inhabitants. - Rams , SAE , Dozen Cherry Shrimps, Nerite Snails,Etc
10. Full tank shot. - Attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 204
I'm not familiar with ADA dosing regime, but quickly checked with UKAPS nutrient calculator and 2ml of ADA strongest Fe (Step 3) gives you only 0.01ppm of Fe per 85l and 2ml of Brighty K gives only 1.6ppm of K - in my opinion that's not enough, especially if you also dose CO2. I'd personally aim for at least 5ppm of K weekly and approx. 0.1-0.15ppm of Fe weekly. Bu as I've mentioned I don't know too much about Ada ferts so maybe other users could help you.

I'm not familiar with ADA dosing regime, but quickly checked with UKAPS nutrient calculator and 2ml of ADA strongest Fe (Step 3) gives you only 0.01ppm of Fe per 85l and 2ml of Brighty K gives only 1.6ppm of K - in my opinion that's not enough, especially if you also dose CO2. I'd personally aim for at least 5ppm of K weekly and approx. 0.1-0.15ppm of Fe weekly. Bu as I've mentioned I don't know too much about Ada ferts so maybe other users could help you.
I m dosing 2 ML of all the ferts (brighty k, brighty mineral, brighty Nitrogen and brighty Iron ) everyday now even i m not sure whether i need to increase the dosing and if yes them how much....

Looks to me as though you are running too lean on fertilisers across the board.

I would switch to DIY Salts and save all the money you are spending on ADA and Seachem.

I have some salts will try making it for my own and test the same.

Thank you So much

i m not sure whether i need to increase the dosing and if yes them how much....

There are two ways to do this.

1) Start lean and work up on all nutrients, in hopes of finding the right balance. (what you are doing right now)

2) Start heavy and work down the nutrients, in hopes of finding the right balance. (explained below)

The < estimative index > and your current tank set up should guarantee you some growth that will be potentially algae free. From there, you can lean your dosing regime to what suits your tank. Personally, dosing EI helped me see healthy growth as I did not know what healthy looked like - sure it's obvious green and nice but that wasn't enough information for me :p. I am in the process of leaning my dose < right now >. I chased nutrient after nutrient in the past and that was a nightmare. Comprehensive ferts (premixed or diy salt mixed) are where it's at.

Josh

Add some nerite snails also. Do you guys have Red racers? I crave for them because we don't have them in Australia.

There are two ways to do this.

1) Start lean and work up on all nutrients, in hopes of finding the right balance. (what you are doing right now)

2) Start heavy and work down the nutrients, in hopes of finding the right balance. (explained below)

The < estimative index > and your current tank set up should guarantee you some growth that will be potentially algae free. From there, you can lean your dosing regime to what suits your tank. Personally, dosing EI helped me see healthy growth as I did not know what healthy looked like - sure it's obvious green and nice but that wasn't enough information for me :p. I am in the process of leaning my dose < right now >. I chased nutrient after nutrient in the past and that was a nightmare. Comprehensive ferts (premixed or diy salt mixed) are where it's at.

Josh
I have started EI dosing from last one week. Lets see whats the result. And will update you after some weeks.
Thanks for you support

I have started EI dosing from last one week. Lets see whats the result. And will update you after some weeks.
Thanks for you support
Hello,
GSA is caused by any combination of poor CO2 and poor PO4. You have listed in your configuration the item 4. ADA Amazonia, which, if this is new substrate (i.e. less than a year old) then there is plenty of PO4. Therefore, we should assume that the condition is cause by poor CO2/flow/distribution.

Cheers,

Hello,
GSA is caused by any combination of poor CO2 and poor PO4. You have listed in your configuration the item 4. ADA Amazonia, which, if this is new substrate (i.e. less than a year old) then there is plenty of PO4. Therefore, we should assume that the condition is cause by poor CO2/flow/distribution.

Cheers,

Hello,

The setup is 9 months old. And the soil is also 9 months old. And i can also provide you the earlier images where i was not having any problem.

Now i have started the EI dosing. And i m able to see new growth in ferns. But i dont know wether its because of the dosing change. I have also attached the photo for new growth in ferns. And please let me know if it needs to be trimmed?

Attachments

• 1BA53B93-057D-437B-AA2C-9C613920B153.jpeg
    1BA53B93-057D-437B-AA2C-9C613920B153.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Hi,
Yes it easier in the beginning because there was less plant mass so it was easier to satisfy their needs. As the plant mass increases they become victims of their own success.

The new growth is most likely the result of higher dosing but these also may fall victim to GSA if CO2 continues to be a problem. I suggest that you remove all the infected leaves as these will never recover and this will also make more room for better flow/distribution.

You might also try placing your diffuser under or near the filter inlet so that the effluent is richer in CO2.

Cheers,

Hi,
Yes it easier in the beginning because there was less plant mass so it was easier to satisfy their needs. As the plant mass increases they become victims of their own success.

The new growth is most likely the result of higher dosing but these also may fall victim to GSA if CO2 continues to be a problem. I suggest that you remove all the infected leaves as these will never recover and this will also make more room for better flow/distribution.

You might also try placing your diffuser under or near the filter inlet so that the effluent is richer in CO2.

Cheers,
Hello

So should a remove all the affected leaves. I m Asking this because almost all the ferns leaves are impacted. So is it good to remove all the infected leaves.

If i would remove all the affected Leaves then only the rhizome would remain.😔

Hello

So should a remove all the affected leaves. I m Asking this because almost all the ferns leaves are impacted. So is it good to remove all the infected leaves.

If i would remove all the affected Leaves then only the rhizome would remain.😔

Yes, correct and new leaves will emerge from the rhizomes, hopefully more healthy than the ones you removed.

Cheers,

Back