• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Guess what's a weed in my garden!

lljdma06

Hi everyone,

I was mowing the lawn today and came across these little plants. I think it's either Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides or Hydrocotyle verticillata, but since I live in the SE United states and not SE Asia, I'm really inclined to believe it's H. verticillata. It is a native bog plant in my neck of the woods and can grow either in muddy soil or completely submerged. This is what grows in my yard, in a shaded moist area, again consistant with H. verticillata's growth habits.

IMG_2853.jpg

I, of course, stopped mowing, grabbed a small shovel and started harvesting this little gem. It's my toadstool plant for my Dutch scape! :clap: I had wanted this exact plant and thought I was going to have to order it online. Fancy finding it growing in my own yard!

IMG_2863.jpg

I cleaned it up and it is now in a small 8g tub/pond where I keep several other plants including various Amazon swords and anubias. It's basically my clipping dumping grounds. Some more pictures showing the rhizome, leaf shape, and the tub.

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

The tub gets some sunshine, so I'm expecting it'll do alright until the rest of the plants arrive and I can do the dutch scape. There is so much plant biomass in there now, that algae has disappeared and the water is quite clear. I'm playing with the idea of introducing some small hardy fish, but we'll see. The water gets warm, so it has to be something very hardy. I'll pick the smallest rhizomes for the Dutch scape. Much better than the Marsilea alternative.

llj

Looks really good,

Keep us updated on the progress

aaronnorth said:
lol,
what's the echindorous? specie at the top of the picture?

It bears the strongest resemblance to Echinodorus bleheri, but I'm not positive on the species. I got it at Petsmart. I've had it for quite some time in my 36g. It did alright there. I also have Ozelot sword and red melon in that tub.

llj

lljdma06 said:
aaronnorth said:
lol,
what's the echindorous? specie at the top of the picture?

It bears the strongest resemblance to Echinodorus bleheri, but I'm not positive on the species. I got it at Petsmart. I've had it for quite some time in my 36g. It did alright there. I also have Ozelot sword and red melon in that tub.

llj

I think i had the same specie and i have been looking for an ID
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6546

I dont think it is bleheri though :?: I'm not sure, i will just look next time i'm in MA.

Back