• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Guess who's back..... Henry goes steampunk...

zozo

First who the hell is Henry?? :)

This is Henry
Henry.jpg

Still a little Fancy goldfish and he's Black.. And he stands in a little 25 litre tank on a old vintage chabbychick coffee table.
henry2.jpg

Now, Henry is steadily growing the owners feel kinda sorry for him and decided Henry needs more space.. But still would like him to stay on the coffee table.. They want a tank on it in about the same length of the table 135cmx35cmx25cm. And the tank needs to fit the over all apartments enterior.. So after looking around, sucking up the interior details and all is Hipster, Vintage, Chabbychick kinda steampunk fashion. Now that's going to be a nice challange! :woot: Right up my aley. The table is rock solid but made out of an old vintage pickup trucks wooden loading platform.. There is no darn mm of straight surface to find.. o_O How do we get a straight tank in this dimensions on there without making it a complete out of fashion straight glass box.

Thinking back to my latest Garden tank experiment which proofed to be very solid and safe construction concept.

long story short, cut the crap, Henry is Fancy, Henry needs a fancy tank in a fancy livingroom.

And pics say more than a 1000 words. Anyway Henry goes victorian style steampunk and out of the box..

Right now i'm still in the process of gathering and preparing materials.. But the blue print is there and it's a work in progress. No turning back..

DSCF9554.JPG

Bottom panel is going to be 22mm Multiplex, the glass is going to be integrated into the wood. To wood is going to be all around Epoxy coated.. It getting an antique Maroon brown transparant coating.

DSCF9555.JPG

The net glass dimension gets 123x31,5x21cm, so roughly we wont have more than 90 kilo to support. 21 cm hieght results in 4mm glass beeing strong enough.

To get a flat surface on a crooked surface there is only one way, using a set of adjustable feet dividing the weight.
DSCF9560.JPG

Metric T nuts and bolds.. 6 total will result in less than 20 kilo strain per bold. Still needs to get a counter nut later on of course.
DSCF9562.JPG

To make it fancy, each corner gets a old style brass loin paw.. As you can see, the slid the glass is goin to be situated in has a cross section at each corner.
DSCF9557.JPG

When the glass is in, there still will be 2 x 10 mm slid left open.. Slids are 5x5mm so to mask that and keep it in the same fashion, a little 10mm piece of a 5x5mm brass rod is going to fill the open slids in the corners. Once it is glued in all gets a last clear epoxy finnish to fill up any open spaces and also cover teh brass.

DSCF9558.JPG

For the light Henry doesn't need much, but still gets a lot.. i found a very nice suiting aluminium led strip profile. Coded the P7 found them at ebay Germany They are for regular SMD led strip.. It's going to be 1 metre 19 watt cool white strip, remotely controlled with a dimmer..
s-l1600.jpg
That 3,6mm hole at each end is perfet to tap some M4 thread. The profile is 100 cm, tank is 123cm. That's where the 6x4mm brass tube comes in. Solder a M4 thread into the brass tube and screwed into the aluminium profile. And extend the lenght with brass tubing.. Than the the little metal M5 pneumatic 90° M5 socket/nipple comes to the rescue. They come in Brass or in Nickle plated, not yet decided which one, but got them both. Tap some M5 thread in the brass tubes other end and the 90° elbow can be screwed on. The light tube will only be 3 cm above the glass makes it 5 cm above the water level. So i need a little piece of 3cm tube standing again on the glass. That's where a little piece of 6mm aluminium U profile come in screwed to the tube as retainer stand on the glass. So that's fr the light stand.. :)
DSCF9559.JPG

That's it so far.. So you have a rough idea where i'm going with this Fancy tank for Henry.. I'll keep you posted on it's development.. Any questions or comments, shoot! All yours. :)

:thumbup:

Attachments

• DSCF9554.JPG
    DSCF9554.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF9555.JPG
    DSCF9555.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF9557.JPG
    DSCF9557.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF9558.JPG
    DSCF9558.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF9559.JPG
    DSCF9559.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF9562.JPG
    DSCF9562.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF9560.JPG
    DSCF9560.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Henry.jpg
    Henry.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 169
  • henry2.jpg
    henry2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Can't imagine Henry lasting long with cat scratching pole? in background of first photo.
At least not on something as easily accessible as coffee table.

Can't imagine Henry lasting long with cat scratching pole? in background of first photo.
At least not on something as easily accessible as coffee table.

Till now they are going together for over a year... So?? But indeed with cats you never know.. It also is not my concern with the decision to make this or not. You know how people are, i can tell them.. They'll take notice, but likely wont change a thing, since it worked already for over a year, didn't it.... I guess unfortunately only a Henry the Second will learn them. Or Henry the first stays lucky as he is.. :)

Got the glas today and did a dry fit.
DSCF9574 (Custom).JPG

Need to do litle sanding and make the side slits 0.5 mm wider. The glass cutters fault the long panels are half a millimiter to long.
DSCF9575 (Custom).JPG

Than fit again and if ok it's time to start coating the wood.. :)

The colored epoxy coating is on. 2 thick layers. :) It shines like a surfboard, pitty actualy is gets covered with substrate..
DSCF9587 (Custom).JPG

Only vissible wood will be the outside edge, this still needs an extra coating layer.. But first 7 days curing, next sunday it's kitting time.. At the wood it will be black kit to mask the the slid, with transparent it will be see through wont look that good. Not yet sure to use transparent kit at the glass sides, that's my plan and idea, but i leave that desicion to the initial owner of the tank. He's going to be my helper next sunday.
DSCF9588 (Custom).JPG

Than after the kitting i need to cut the brass bars to fill up the ends of the slid.. Than it needs a sanding, see how that turns out, if the sanding leaves me with a worn off look. We might just leave it like that and just use a clear coating to keep that look.

So far it's a very fun build.. But the tricky part will be the kitting.. I want a minimal as possible seam. :)

Nice shape too, i always liked those 12G long ones.

Thanks.. It is indeed, i also always liked those 12G long. It actualy was that tributary scape from Findley bringing me back into the hobby. I believe that is an ADA 12G.

I kinda feel a bit envy by now with the thought i have to give it away when it's done. :( But it stays in the family.. :)

But first i want to explore a shallow cube tank anyway.. So build me the same in a cube version after this. Still have an antique square cabinet 70 tall and with a 40x40 marble top plate. I always wanted to put a cube on that, but had my doubts about that marble top and a glas cube on it.. With this style i doubt it will look bad and fits perfectly to an antique style cabinet..

So it's just practice for your own, clever:twisted:

You got me there.. :rolleyes: Got to guinea pig on somebody, that's what family is for.. Tho the very first in kinda this style i did last year for myself, with wooden side panels. That's what i offered them first, what they didn't want. So i got kinda forced into alternatives and to put on my blue suede shoes.

and cleverly you left that one in the garden should it leak:D

Thanks for the complements.. It's in the cellar now for the winter and still going strong.. BTW at the right side is Lobelia cardinalis var. Queen victoria, it all grew from the rootstock from the big 1.8 metre emersed one. :cool:
DSCF9597 (Custom).JPG

So drained it partialy and moved it there.. Like this
DSCF9600 (Custom).JPG

I'm rather confident, this i never wood have tried with a full glas tank, move it downstairs partialy drained with hardscape in place. Darn thing is rock solid.. Earthquake proof if the ceilling doesn't fall on top of it. :rolleyes:

Oh this is also in the cellar now.. :( :)
DSCF9598 (Custom).JPG

:D

Watching, learning and getting ideas:cool:

Thanks.. :) Means a lot to me, an old fart like you learning from my silly ideas to do things differently.. :thumbup: Can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

Me too, if I only had the time, one day I keep telling myself, hopefully soon.

Thank you too.. :) Well time aint an issue.. As you can see this you can build in a week effectively in less than a day, but i don't mind to let them wait 6 weeks or even longer :cool:..
They concept i like it rather yesterday, never worked for me.. It only works if i feel like it. If i don't 10 horses can't pull me to it..

Looking great Marcel, really like the steampunk theme :cool:
And it's good to see next years Mission Bathtub safely tucked away in the cellar ready for summer 2018 :)

Hi all, I'm not sure I've seen a white Hesperantha coccinea with such broad petals before.

Do you know which cultivar it is?

cheers Darrel

I actualy didn't expect it to be a white one too. And never had a white one before... :) I have to dig up the lable, i still most have it somewhere, but don't remember it saying anything different than the usual plant name.. But i know it showed a red flower on it.. I look iit up.

Back