• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Had some fun with a friends camera

Egmel

We went camping for a weekend in Wales and I managed to get my hands on my friends camera, it's a Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd and allowed me to put into practice some of the theory I'd picked up about exposure times and the like.

Gushy Gushy waterfalls
2625620136_b9a1129610.jpg
2625631884_f87e354bd9.jpg

Guitar by red torch light
2625656226_3b920d7887.jpg

Fire
2625950722_d5a47b4edd.jpg
Wish I'd taken this one just that little bit lower down to get all the embers in.

Embers
2625093551_227c3cd013.jpg
Which lead to...
Fire Writing
2626120728_bdfb2fb1b1.jpg
This took ages to get right, the timing had to be precise otherwise you missed half the writing. :) I also like the way you catch the dawn light seeping through the trees :)

All of these are unprocessed, just as they came off the camera (haven't had time to play with them all yet).

Higher resolutions are available through the photo links to flickr (as are many other photos of the weekend as I collate all the group's shots).

great shots, thats excactly how i started. try and get your self to a funfair inthe autumn! big wheels and stuff on long exposures. great fun.

Thanks guys, the writing is something I've been wanting to do for a long time but I've never had the kit. As soon as I realised I was holding a camera with the option of a 4 second exposure it was fait a complet!

As for the fire, I've always been a pyromaniac, I love the way the colours on the embers flicker back and forth, so beautiful, and the flames motion is very soothing. I don't think you can ever catch the feeling of a fire in a 2D image but it's interesting to try.

i dont want ti hijak your thread egmel

saintly said:
great shots, thats excactly how i started. try and get your self to a funfair inthe autumn! big wheels and stuff on long exposures. great fun.

this is a pic i took a few years ago at a fair. 2 big wheels! on a long exposure. you'll need a tripod though

good look

142_4274.jpg

and heres another. at my mums house. it took ages to get this pic. crap composition though :(

238_3877.jpg

saintly said:
i dont want ti hijak your thread egmel
No worries I don't mind!

I love the one of the big wheels, I didn't use a tripod for any of mine (it probably shows). I quite often end up balancing the camera on something and using a delay timer though which is almost the same as using a tripod.

I'd love to have a go at photographing storms, I think it's impressive just to get the lighting first, once you've got the hang of that then you can play with setting it how you want!

I really need to get myself a decent camera, right now though I can't justify it. Maybe I'll ask for cash for my B'day, or as a prezzie to myself when I eventually get round to submitting my thesis!

Back