• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Had to move my tank

UseHerName

So I had to move my 90L tank about 5 weeks ago because we moved to a new house. I bought a 50L container to transfer half the water so I won’t need to circulate the entire tank again. The tank seems to be doing well since the move and no livestock were lost in the process 💪🏼
There is a slight problem with Algea (thread). This may be because there were not enough frogbit plants to shield from the bright light, or possibly due to change of location (the aquarium now is closer to the window, although it does not have direct sunlight on it). The frogbit now covers the entire surface (is that bad by the way? Apart from being difficult to feed) and I was finally brave enough to do a 50% water change today. CNT is given regularly. The shrimps are doing a decent job helping to clean some of it! The plants are looking okish, and I was wondering if I can add some liquid CO2, my main worry are the shrimp of course. Anyone has an experience with that? Recommended diluted dose perhaps? Many thanks in advance 🙏🏼
B0082082-7FFB-40DC-ABE7-183A32671BD5.jpeg
52C2E0FC-0D63-44D1-93ED-93B2F589C008.jpeg
66983143-72B0-4734-85A5-47A4162F818F.jpeg

Hi all,
The frogbit now covers the entire surface
Thin it down to about 2/3rds coverage. You want there to be room for the leaves to lie flat on the waters surface and then they give you a better indication of plant growth rate.

Once older leaves are submerged they will begin to decay (like you can see in your photo) and are of no use to you (or the plant) at that point. Once it is back to "leaves touching", thin it again. I pick the non-green leaves off every couple of days and have a thin about once a fortnight, but my tanks run fairly lean. I'd guess that some people <"who feed a bit more"> will thin more frequently.

cheers Darrel

Looks really nice, frogbit covering the surface is a good sign but agree with dw on how much should idealy be covered, don't bother with liqued glut, a waste of money.

Hi all,

Thin it down to about 2/3rds coverage. You want there to be room for the leaves to lie flat on the waters surface and then they give you a better indication of plant growth rate.

Once older leaves are submerged they will begin to decay (like you can see in your photo) and are of no use to you (or the plant) at that point. Once it is back to "leaves touching", thin it again. I pick the non-green leaves off every couple of days and have a thin about once a fortnight, but my tanks run fairly lean. I'd guess that some people <"who feed a bit more"> will thin more frequently.

cheers Darrel
Thank you for that! I’ll do that. Luckily I promised a few to the near by pet shop anyway, so I guess they’ll get a decent bunch!

Ah, thank you. There was a bottle that came with the tank back when I bought it. So you think there is no added value?
Yes, don't throw it away as it can have some use against algae but in general its a waste of time adding for increased plant growth.

Back