• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hair Algae/No growth - Updated with pics

Re: New Tank - Brown Algae/Green Spot Algae/Thread Algae

Hi Jaap
Jaap said:
Any ideas on what to do? Is it because of the 48w T5HO and will 24W be better?
This will most definitely help until the tank is established.

Jaap said:
Should I increase CO2 if we assume that Phosphate levels are good due to EI?
If you have no livestock, you can crank the CO2 as high as you wish. This will get the plants off to a good start. Just remember to wind it back when you start stocking.
On one of my tanks that has T5's over it, I always used to get GSA on the glass. I tried cranking up the CO2 but the fish became stressed, so I now add an extra teaspoon of KH2PO4 to my mix and haven't seen any GSA for well over a year :D. I would have liked to have raised the lights but due to the location of the tank it is not possible, so I devised another method of reducing the light intensity.
Oddly enough this never happens on my tank with T8's over it :?
I'm telling you, T5's were invented by the devil himself :lol:

I would make sure your overall light levels are on the lower side, watts and hours.

To much light + ammonia = algae

So clean regularly and reduce light.

Because you have no fauna I'd have high levels of c02 but remember Otos and shrimp help remove some algae.

I'd use EI at higher than recommended doses. Then once everything's ok reduce it down slowly.

I'm not as expert as some on this forum but I've been where you are and there's loads of help on this forum.

Good luck

Should I add a couple of otos or is it risky?

My kH hardness is between 7 and 8. Is this too high?

Jaap said:
Should I add a couple of otos or is it risky?

My kH hardness is between 7 and 8. Is this too high?

Too high for what? the Oto's? I wouldn't have thought so. If your worrying about the hardness and the plants then relax.

Have you reduced your lighting? It's been a good 2 weeks since this was advised but you keep looking at other parameters. Start with that and keep up with the maintenance is how your going to beat it and get the tank stable.

Yes. I have reduced the lighting to 24W and I am now waiting to see results :)

It seems that algae now grows less aggresivly. However the brown algae still continues to grow on the leaves of the eleocharis parvula. I noticed that it grows on the leaves where no direct water flow occurs. I mean under the outflow of the filter, there is no brown algae on the leaves.

Furthermore, I have increased the EI dosing from 4 pumps to 5 pumps just to ensure adiquate amount of nutrients.

Lets see by the end of the week....I am unsure of the CO2 though. How do I know if
1. I have enought CO2 in my tank
2. It is not lethal for fish so I can add 2 ottos?

I believe that the brow/diatoms algae is now gone! However I have the following problems:

1. Hair algae is observed to grow on the Eleocharis Parvula mostly situated in the four corners of the tank. I thought of water circulation but a 70 litre tank powered by a 900 L/h filter seems good enough to me. Plus I only have 24w over my tank at the moment.

2. I have noticed a small patch of cyanobacteria (BGA). I don't know what to do with this.

3. Hair algae grows on the glass.

4. The Eleocharis parvula doesn't seem to spread alot but it gets denser and denser in certain areas of the tank. For example it is very dense near the filter output but doesn't spread near the filre input. The best growth is exactly in the middle of the tank!

5. Some bundles of Eleocharis Parvula seems to have a good rooting system but others, mostly the ones affected by hair algae, seems to get plugged out very easily.

P.S: I have increased my CO2 levels but maybe not enough and also I have increased my EI dosing so as to ensure adequate amount of nutrients e.g from 4 pumps to 5 pumps. Light levels were dropped from 48w to 24w and it seems that sometimes part of the tank is hit by direct sunlight which I took care of today.

Any advice people?

Thanks!

Anyone?????????????? Help please .........

Hi Jaap

Jaap said:
1. Hair algae is observed to grow on the Eleocharis Parvula mostly situated in the four corners of the tank. I thought of water circulation but a 70 litre tank powered by a 900 L/h filter seems good enough to me.

It sounds like you have enough flow, if the manufacturers numbers are to be believed. Unfortunately they are not. Some filters output drop by as much as 50% when media is added. Circulation or the amount of CO2 appears to be the problem. Especially if you are getting algae in the corners. Try reconfiguring the flow if you can.

Jaap said:
2. I have noticed a small patch of cyanobacteria (BGA). I don't know what to do with this.
This one is simple to deal with. Up your nitrate.

Jaap said:
3. Hair algae grows on the glass.
This is definitely CO2 related, so you need to up your injection rate. This will also help with problem No.1.

Jaap said:
4. The Eleocharis parvula doesn't seem to spread alot but it gets denser and denser in certain areas of the tank. For example it is very dense near the filter output but doesn't spread near the filre input. The best growth is exactly in the middle of the tank!

This indicates poor CO2 injection rate and/or circulation.

Jaap said:
5. Some bundles of Eleocharis Parvula seems to have a good rooting system but others, mostly the ones affected by hair algae, seems to get plugged out very easily.

This indicates poor CO2 injection rate and/or circulation too. Especially as you have hair algae.

Jaap said:
P.S: I have increased my CO2 levels but maybe not enough
Everything is pointing to this.

Dropping your light levels was definitely the right thing to do while you get your tank back on track.
The only thing that bothers me is the fact that you have BGA. If you are dosing true EI levels then this really shouldn't be an issue. Maybe recheck your calculations.

You'll have to trim all the algae infected grass and clean the algae off the glass, but you will have to up your CO2 injection rate.
Keep up with the water changes too. This all helps.
Your grass will grow like a weed when you get your CO2 delivery and circulation right :D
Check out page 8 of my 180l journal in my signature, you'll see what I mean.
Hang in there and let us know how you get on.

Hi,

this is the current sittuation of the tank, no growth, lots of hair algae and brown dead areas of the grass:
notice how in the middle of the tank the grass is the healthiest!

This is how CO2 gets distributed in the tank:

This is the bad hair algae:

This is the dead brown area of the grass:

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I think maintenance. Everything could do with a good clean for starters. The yellowing could be a fert deficiency. You say the middle is the healthiest and probably recieves the best flow.

Do you not have a drop checker? How do you estimate co2 levels?

I would go for good maintenance, remove as much algae as possible, give hairgrass a good prune, improve co2, easycarbo dosing and plenty of water changes. How many hours of light are you using now?

How are you ferting this tank? Edit.. Checked and it's EI, Can you explain how your mixing and dosing?

spyder said:
I think maintenance. Everything could do with a good clean for starters. The yellowing could be a fert deficiency. You say the middle is the healthiest and probably recieves the best flow.

Do you not have a drop checker? How do you estimate co2 levels?

I would go for good maintenance, remove as much algae as possible, give hairgrass a good prune, improve co2, easycarbo dosing and plenty of water changes. How many hours of light are you using now?

How are you ferting this tank? Edit.. Checked and it's EI, Can you explain how your mixing and dosing?

I have a drop checker and it is on 2 bubble per second. The fish seem to be comfortable with the co2 levels.

I maintain the tank every Sunday. I remove all algae with credit card and toothbrush but I didn't remove any to show in the picture. I maintain this tank regularly so its something else because I remove tones of algae every week. I dosed Excell but my shrimp died so I stopped.

For EI I am using premixed solutions in bottles that I mixed based on Jame's Tank website and an electronic scale.

Thanks

I have 24w of light

The filter that I have is 900 L/h do you think I need a larger one?

thanks

7 hours....but the Eleocharis parvula doesn't seem to grow. If you see the right side of the tank it is not covered with grass...

Hi
I would reduce your lighting to 5 hours...give the tank a clean then do a 75% water change.
You could benefit from a couple of Co2 indicators.
Place one at each end of the aquarium.The green dust algae usually appears in new set-ups.
I think you have a lack of flow distribution...thats why some plants are not growing.
Persevere for a few weeks doing small water changes.
Cheers
hoggie

Hi Jaap
Ive loaded your aquarium measurements on here :arrow: http://blog.fluidsensoronline.com/calcu ... ive-index/
Comes up 81 litres....do the same then scroll down to dosing routines.
I know your dosing a different method.
Here it states for EI 40ml for Macro....40ml for trace.
hoggie

Jaap said:
I have 24w of light

The filter that I have is 900 L/h do you think I need a larger one?

thanks

This may not be needed. You could try moving your lily pipe around to create different flow patterns around the tank or even try a spraybar on the back wall. You need to try and improve your co2 distribution and flow. I hear you on the unfortunate shrimp loss and liquid carbon but if it's killed them all, why stop dosing now? That's like locking the door after the cat has escaped.

I'm not sure if you've stumbled across Mark Evans's latest journal where he is using around 5 hour lighting period and getting great growth rates and no algae and this is with lowish flow. Don't make the mistake that plants need more and more light as you will end up with more and more algae. Shave it down to 5 hours for now, you can always tweaked it back up half hour at a time when the tank is balanced and stable.

If you can rehome your fish for a few weeks you can turn up the gas without fear of killing anything, get the tank cleaned up and thriving then bring back the livestock. To be honest, I was feeling the same way about upping the gas in my 125l but I have, fish are fine and I have a good limey green DC instead of the dark emerald green I was getting. My bubble rate is uncountable so avoid assuming that 1 or 2 bps is enough for your tank, they all vary.

Back