• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hair Algae or BBA?

Lukmana91

Hair%20algae1_zpsuu5jkncn.jpg

Hair%20Algae%203_zps1en2dpeo.jpg

Hair%20Algae%202_zpsrrx3elvx.jpg

The tank:
Light: 54w
SIze: 150 L
CO2: injected but irregular due to regulator malfunction (is getting it sorted out)
FIlter: Eheim Ecco Pro 300
The tank is newly set up and is only around 2 weeks old

I was getting this strips of algae on my monte carlo, some folks have said that it is BBA, but i noticed that the characteristics fits more to Hair algae.
-noticeable shades of green when i put it close to the light
- can be removed easily with hand
- and the algae actually attaches itself to the substrate instead of the plant itself

What do you think ?

(I deeply apologize for the poor quality of the pictures, it was taken with my phone)

hair or staghorn, not bba.
check out the algae section, i'm sure George Farmer put a good article up

I have found the article, while it does tell me how to get rid of it, it does not really discuss what is causing it.

Based on the article, the hair algae is beneficial as a food supplement for other livestock, so I'm probably thinking of stocking some RCS after this.

54W over 180l is a lot of light especially if you are having CO2 issues and especially as a new tank :eek:.

To remove it, unfortunately you will have to cut it away including any plants attached to it. However you could try squirting either liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide using a syringe on it, but can/will damage the plants. Or dip/spray the affected plants with diluted liquid carbon/hydrogen peroxide, however again it can damage the plants.

To stop it coming back, (sort algae) sort your CO2 issues out and half/third the light level for first couple of months by putting plastic sheets under/over the lights or foil rings on the tube. etc anything to lower light level and start at 4 hours a day. Once settled in increase light level and time slowly, any big jump in light level/time will again cause algae.

54W over 180l is a lot of light especially if you are having CO2 issues and especially as a new tank :eek:.

To remove it, unfortunately you will have to cut it away including any plants attached to it. However you could try squirting either liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide using a syringe on it, but can/will damage the plants. Or dip/spray the affected plants with diluted liquid carbon/hydrogen peroxide, however again it can damage the plants.

To stop it coming back, (sort algae) sort your CO2 issues out and half/third the light level for first couple of months by putting plastic sheets under/over the lights or foil rings on the tube. etc anything to lower light level and start at 4 hours a day. Once settled in increase light level and time slowly, any big jump in light level/time will again cause algae.

will shrimps help?

What other fish or creature will get rid of this? I've got some showing as well, it's growing in the hair grass.
I got some Otocinclus Catfish fish. About 10 of them but they are not clearing it

I popped in 2 of my gold fish last night' black moor and they have almost eaten the lot with no damage to the hair grass

Back