• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hair algae

alzak said:
yes every Sunday 50% water change 5 day dosing and Friday and Saturday break
Could you provide more details about your tank? volume, lights, how many hours lights on, filtration, dosing regime and amounts.

so tank is 60l low tech light 26w,filtration fluval 205 with 3 media types,light was for 10h but now is just for 7h

alzak said:
so tank is 60l low tech light 26w,filtration fluval 205 with 3 media types,light was for 10h but now is just for 7h
So far so good, and dosing regime?

sunday 50% water and kno3/kh2po4/mgso4
monday micro
tuesday mgso4/kh2po4/kno3
wednesday micro
thursday kno3/kh2po4/mgso4

alzak said:
sunday 50% water and kno3/kh2po4/mgso4
monday micro
tuesday mgso4/kh2po4/kno3
wednesday micro
thursday kno3/kh2po4/mgso4
You trying to build up your post count? :p quantities?

so kno3 bit less than 3/16 tea spoon
kh2po4 bit less than 1/16 tea spoon
mgso4 bit less than 1/2 tea spoon

micro about 3ml seachem

I always find it difficult to work with teaspoon measures unless you have a proper set of measuring spoons for the job, always find it best to work in grams as I have a gram scale for the job.

so kno3 bit less than 3/16 tea spoon 0.94 grams
kh2po4 bit less than 1/16 tea spoon 0.31 grams
mgso4 bit less than 1/2 tea spoon 2.5 grams

Sounds about right to start with and the 3ml of trace is a good amount also, but you need to be dosing it on a Friday also, or dose 5ml the other days.

What seachem product are you using? Also do you measure the CO2 with a drop checker? or are you using seachem excel for CO2? How much you dose of that?

I found the best fish for getting rid of hair algae was a SAE - he was a little bit terratorial though

hipknoteyes said:
I found the best fish for getting rid of hair algae was a SAE - he was a little bit terratorial though
Yep and has they get older will also reduce eating the algae.

Anytime I mess up the CO2= algae.

I adjusted it and also inoculated some Spirogyra.
Bloomed nicely.

Plants also grew well.

I have a nice fully planted tank and have been doing the same routine dosing wise./light etc, the plants are doign even better and more biomass. So I decided to inoculate again to see.

Yep, I was able to induce it with a little CO2 "bump" and addition of fresh culture.

The light and nutrients where independent.

I'd suspect if you allowed Caldophora to remain, it would do a simialr thing, but does not gow or sporulate and spread like Spirogyra. Several other greens are good, but require more variables and issues to occur. GSA comes along with poor CO2 as well a bit later.

I adjusted the CO2 for 1 week and reduced it by about 1/4. Then returned it.

I can get rid of the algae with 3 days on/3 days off ......of light/blackouts.
So large water changes, no ferts, then blackout for 3 days.
After, another large water changes, followed by 3 normal days with lower light.
Followed by another BO and water change.

Repeat as often as needed to beat the algae back.

This allows the plants to survive indefinitely, but beats the algae back really harshly.
Works well on most green hair algae.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back