• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hairgrass help

Nick16

hi, can anyone tell me the difference between Eleocharis Vivipara and eleocharis acicularis

as i have seen them advertised on two different sites, but they look exactly the same. :?

vivipara grows new plantlets at nodes on the leaves and ends up in a rather tangled mess!

acicularis doesn't!

right, ok! By the pictures that both sites had they looked so similar and often tbe pictures are slightly hard to grasp, if you know what i mean. they often dont reflect the plant very well. cheers Ed.

I had exacly the same prob when buying my vivapara, I orderd mine from www.Java-plants.com. Unless your up to the challenge don't bother with the hastle of this plant Its driving me crazy, if your going to get it my advice would be sperate into individual stems and trim off the new growth pods other wise you end up with spaggetti in your tank :D

yeah, i bought some Acicularis from AE and i put it in my tank about a week and a half ago, however for the first week i was in iceland and didnt have the FE going. :oops: but since i have come back i have and it is growing really weel, im chuffed. i was never able to grow E.parvula but somehow E.acicularis grows. wierd eh! i planted both in the same way!

Vivipara
vivipara.jpg

Its much bigger than Acicularis, and as Ed says, it grows new plantlets from a bud at the end of each leaf.

Back