• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Half Barrel pond and new pond project.

Thank you for the lily advice.

It came in a 3ltr pot, I have it on the shelf for now in a corner.

Is it ok for the leaf to be under the water while it grows? Or do I need to lift it so the leaf is always at the surface?

The other plants I ordered have arrived too, although they too have a LOT of growing to do.

I think in future il buy any plants in person so I can see what I am being sold but it is early in the season I suppose.

If anyone is interested these are the plants in the pond right now:

Elodea densa
Hornwort
Albatross lily
Creeping jenny
Pickerel weed
Persicaria amphibia
Golden club
Greater spearwort

I ordered a chameleon plant and bog grass but they arrived tiny and unplanted so went in the barrel basket.

Last edited:
It is fine for the leaf to be under the water at first, but not too deep, preferably just a few inches so it does not struggle to reach the surface. It will grow quickly once the weather warms up a bit, they are only just starting into growth at this time of year.

I would probably leave it in the 3 litre pot for now, on the shelf sounds perfect. I would let it grow and get a bit stronger and maybe think about repotting it to a larger container in the summer. Latour-Marliac recommend a 14 litre container for Albatross.

It is fine for the leaf to be under the water at first, but not too deep, preferably just a few inches so it does not struggle to reach the surface. It will grow quickly once the weather warms up a bit, they are only just starting into growth at this time of year.

I would probably leave it in the 3 litre pot for now, on the shelf sounds perfect. I would let it grow and get a bit stronger and maybe think about repotting it to a larger container in the summer. Latour-Marliac recommend a 14 litre container for Albatross.
Thank you again for the advice, gonna leave all the potted plants on the shelf until they are ready to move.

And wow that's a big container for the albatross, hoping it's foilage will cover roughly half the pond once grown.

IMG_20240401_171220485.jpg IMG_20240401_171229574.jpg IMG_20240401_171234486.jpg IMG_20240401_171239702.jpg

Last edited:
The fountain is tilted slightly, could keep it like that and put the lily front right.

There is a lot of hornwort with weights in the front left corner, waiting for it to take off.

Back