• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Handling snails properly?

veerserif

I'm pretty certain I just killed a ramshorn with improper tweezer technique. I'm fairly certain I killed a nerite with improper "get off the glass" technique. (The last dead nerite probably wasn't on me...)

So, how on earth are you meant to handle them properly? When I introduce them (after drip-acclimation), I've been weighing down the little plastic tub they're in and waiting for them to crawl out, but every time I see one of these guys making a break for it and trying to climb out of the aquarium, I'm less and less certain I know how to pop them back in. I know you're not meant to tug on the shell, rather prod and "convince" them to go back in. But clearly my technique is lacking something. Help?

Not sure I want to know what “improper tweezer technique” may be :oops:
but
definitely handle snails with your fingers

If you gently nudge at a snail and he is bound fast, leave him alone for a bit, then nudge again ... you can also try squirting him with water (focusing on the foot not the shell)

Unless you forcibly yank snail to remove, chances are any loss of life is not from your nudge nudge activity, they can be sensitive shippers (I suspect heat or perhaps lack of oxygen if they’re shipped submerged rather than on damp sponge in a high humidity container)

When selecting snails to buy, choose actively moving snails, snails that do need a bit more encouragement to release from the glass or substrate - if the shop staff are rough when handling snails, shop elsewhere : if this is the only shop that carries snails, ask to select your own or ask the staff person to gently handle snails (as they are likely damaging them - unfortunately snails do not display the most obvious stress - have this conversation with the shop manager/owner)

Not sure I want to know what “improper tweezer technique” may be :oops:

I think I nicked one of the snails while removing the remnants of some boiled spinach... turns out ramshorns bleed red, it's a bit disturbing.

Thanks for the tips on selecting snails. Unfortunately none of my local fish stores really have anything interesting in stock - the chain store AFAIK is only carrying goldfish and the odd olive nerite, and the LFS is mostly saltwater-focused and doesn't sell freshwater snails. So it's all been online delivery for me.

I'm pretty certain I just killed a ramshorn with improper tweezer technique. I'm fairly certain I killed a nerite with improper "get off the glass" technique. (The last dead nerite probably wasn't on me...)

So, how on earth are you meant to handle them properly? When I introduce them (after drip-acclimation), I've been weighing down the little plastic tub they're in and waiting for them to crawl out, but every time I see one of these guys making a break for it and trying to climb out of the aquarium, I'm less and less certain I know how to pop them back in. I know you're not meant to tug on the shell, rather prod and "convince" them to go back in. But clearly my technique is lacking something. Help?
Hello. I have never had any.jad a problem such as this . The good time to snatch em, is a few hours after dark. Most of them slither up the glass or alike.. the larger critters can be gently taken by hand. The tiny ones ..well a flat edged plastic container and approach from underneath, tap.the gently 3 times and they'll un attache themselves, and drop gently into your container. Then move them to their new tank, pond, bungalow, seaside condo or wherever you plan to rehouse them. Hope this helps lol

If their on glass wafting a blast of water at them with your hand to get them 'air borne' is my technique. The snail needs to be big enough to then float into your hands though. But no so big as a nerite that the waft would need to he a tidal wave to get them off.

I love pest snails. Only ever crushed a few by mistake. Tadpole snails are the worst. Their shells are such a damn awkward shape. Adult ramshorns are easy once you get the hang of it. Im always repositing them when scaping the tank

If they stick to the glass I slide them along and they normally release pretty quickly. If not I slide them up and over the top edge of the glass where they have to release. I hope that makes sense?

cheers

Conor

Back